File Recovery Programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thejadedmonkey, May 17, 2006.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Hello all!

I had a 40 gig hard drive laying around, with a 7 gig partition on and the rest blank space..and when I formatted the blank space, it also housed my 7 gig partition that had a very important ISO on it..

The partition data hasn't been touched, I just need the boot record to acknowledge that the file's there.

For XP, I have a freeware program called Restoration that works wonderfully for this sort of stuff, but on OS X I have nada, and I'm not about to pay for a program to restore the ISO. That's just...hypocrytical!

Anyone have anything?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There's no free file recovery programs for OS X. Only pay ones.

3. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Could somebody please tell me that this guy isn't joking:eek:

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I am not joking. Look for yourself.

VersionTracker search for "file recovery", note the 2 "freeware" ones are actually for file erasing and a "Mac Help" widget and are not, in fact, file recovery apps.

The same search at MacUpdate.

There are NO free file recovery apps for Mac OS X.

5. live4ever macrumors 6502a

You can try out DataRescue first to see if it can find the lost file - but you have to pay to recover anything greater than 5MB I believe.

I guess it depends on how important the data is - some people's files are irreplaceable and are absolutely worth the small fee for a software solution.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You could try dd_rescue if you're well versed in using the CLI and want to build a Linux proggy.

7. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Ugh..that sucks. I hardly know DOS, let along Terminal or Linux... Thanks for the help though, and uph...that just sucks.