File Sharing Hell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Neoraven, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Neoraven macrumors member

Is Samba required to be installed on the PC to be able to share files?

I've attempted networking my MacBook and my PC to no avail. I have my PC setup as "raven" on the workgroup "MSHOME" and I have my folder "Music" set up to be shared, so that under "My Network Places" it shows "\\Raven\Music" as a shared place.

On my Mac I have Windows File Sharing On, but the two just won't talk. I manually configured my PC's IP to 192.168.0.10, and the Mac to 192.168.0.11. I then selected "Connect to Server..." and typed: "smb://192.168.0.10" which resulted in an Error, also I tried "smb://Raven/Music" which did prompt me for a password, but when I inputted the right password it came back with "Specified file could not be found".

At the time I was both connected to the Network, and connected via Crossover Cable between the two computers.

I am completely lost, I installed DAVE, it didn't help, can anyone help me out?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

My windows/mac network worked out-of-the-box.

Windows filesharing runs on a workgroup called "workgroup" [by default], that might be your problem. I'm pretty sure Macs don't require a crossovercable either.

Good luck.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Can you ping both machines?. I mean from each machine try pinging the other. In OS X, open Terminal and type ping 192.168.0.10. Do you get packets back?

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You also have to allow your 'workgroup' or 'raven' to be shared in
    Windows. Been so long since I've worked with one I can't totally remember how. There are several articles via a Google search. You may need to find one that fits your scenario best.

5. Gee macrumors 65816

Yeh, your problem might be that your two computers are in different workgroups.

6. Neoraven thread starter macrumors member

Mac Network Utility Ping:
    Windows Command Prompt:

Those were the responses I received. I have sinced changed the IP since I posted, now its:

PC: 192.168.0.4
    Mac: 192.168.0.7

How do I check which workgroup my Mac is in? In Windows I went under System -> Computer Name and it gave me the workgroup "MSHOME". And from this test result I can presume my PC is just not letting itself be known?

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

smb://WORKGROUP;Computer/Drive is the format to use. So in your case you'd type something like smb://MSHOME;Raven/C (if C is the drive your folder is on). I think you can further add C/Music or something along those lines. Or maybe you can just use /Music without C at all.

If your computers are networked and setup correctly, though, you *should* be able to see you Windows share appear in the Finder in Network. It can be flaky sometimes.

The Mac doesn't have a workgroup.

8. Neoraven thread starter macrumors member

Firewall problem, on the PC (I use Sygate Personal Firewall) I decided to allow all traffic, and then once I clicked "Connect to server..." and entered smb://192.168.0.4 it put me right through and DAVE mounted the shared folder I had.

So my next question, anyone know how to have Sygate always allow incoming connections from my Mac through the router? Because looking at the traffic logs I see repeated blocks from 192.168.0.1 (The router) then a minute later repeated accepetances, both of which were from the same MAC address which leads me to believe the first were my first batch of pings and the second, my second accepted batch of pings.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Allow all traffic to/from ports 137-1399 to/from 192.168.0.X/255.255.255.0.
    (Or at least 192.168.0.7/255.255.255.255).

B

10. Neoraven thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure if the connection and mounting was all due to DAVE, but I just checked and DAVE is $120 o_O Do you think my method of going about the networking will work when DAVE stops?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, your problem was obviously just a firewall issue. SMB/CIFS is quite interoperable out of the box, as long as you can get to the right ports.

B