file sharing in Tiger Mac to Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jordan2, Jul 3, 2006.

1. jordan2 macrumors newbie

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106461#atalk

Please help make this simple for me. I am on an iMac in Tiger. I have a high speed cable connection (Knology) but I am connected to it via airport as are all of the Imacs here in my home. I want to share a folder with someone in another state who also has an Imac, a cable connection and is in Tiger. We know our IP addresses.

Connecting was very simple in OS 9 via Chooser/AppleTalk, I believe it was, but I have read through this article and it has left me feeling stupid.

Thanks for somone making this simple for me.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

You might be having problems with IP addresses - the IP address that Airport assigns to your computer (usually 10.0.1.x) is internal to your network; there will be another IP address that your modem/router gets from your internet service provider that is the externally facing IP address your friend will need in order to connect. This applies to him too.

Having said that, someone will be able to explain how to do it (I have to dash!)

3. Queso macrumors G4

I need more detail about the device between the Macs. Do you use a wireless router to route the Airport traffic out to the Internet? If so, what make and model is it? Does the other end also use a router, or does their Mac sit directly on the Internet connection? Lastly, do you both have static external IP addresses (i.e. addresses supplied by your ISP that never change)

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can you not just see the other computer in Network (should be in the sidebar in Finder)?

Both computers need to have personal file sharing on in System preferences==>Sharing==>(First tab)

If this doesn't make them show up in network then it should give the address to access one computer from the other at the bottom of this window straight after enabling it, if you cannot see this switch of and on again Personal file sharing.:)

EDIT I see you are doing it remotely...

The easiest way is to enable remote access (SSH) on each machine in System preferences==>Sharing==>(First tab)

this should then give the ssh command at the bottom, you can do this through terminal, or by using a program such as Cyberduck or Fugu to access each other with SFTP. The ssh command is of the form ssh username@ip-address so you can split these off for the GUI program.

EDIT 2
    You may need to set up port forwarding of port 22 from your Router to your Mac as your external ip is different from your local ip and the external one (not 192.168.x.x or 10.10.x.x) is the one you will use as you are accessing remotely.

5. jordan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use airport to connect to connect to the fixed modem my ISP set up when they (Knology) installed cable internet for me. The other person is in another state and is directly connected via ethernet to her fixed modem provided by her ISP provider (Roadrunner.) Yes, we both have static addresses. We need to access a folder containing a lot of files that we both would change occassionally.

6. Gee macrumors 65816

Do you both have Personnal file sharing switched on? And have you tried connecting to her computer by typing her static IP address into the Connect to Server dialogue? Anything happen?

7. jordan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I didn't see anything about personal file sharing in the link above that made sense but I can tell you know how to do thiis. Is there a step by step link to doing this? Or can you tell me?
    Thanks.

8. Gee macrumors 65816

Ok, I'll give it a go, very briefly. It'll probably be easier for you to connect to your friend's computer, as you're going through airport and she has a direct connection to the internet.

1. Your friend should turn on Personal File Sharing in the Sharing pane of System Preferences.

2. You select the Connect to Server item in the Go menu from the Finder (desktop). In the dialog box that comes up, type your friend's static IP address, and hit connect.

3. You should get a dialog box prompting to enter your friend's username and password, or connect a a guest. Take your pick. That's it. You should have access to your friend's Public folder.

4. Really can't be that simple, can it? Hmm. Give it a go, let me know what happens.

9. jordan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't we both need to do this to access each other's computer? Explain this, please.
    2. You select the Connect to Server item in the Go menu from the Finder (desktop)

10. Gee macrumors 65816

Well, the shared files have to reside somewhere, either on your computer or on your friends. So only one person needs to do the hosting/sharing, and the other person just needs to connect.

Finder is just the thing that lets you navigate around your computer - if you have no programs running or if you click on the desktop, or click on the blue face icon on the far left of the dock, you'll see the Finder. It has its own set of menus in the bar along the top - Reading along from the blue Apple, there's Finder, File, Edit, View, Go, Window, Help. All I meant was that when you're in Finder, go to the Go menu and select 'connect to server' at the bottom of the list.

11. jordan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Connect to Server is not an option. I see: Create Network, User Interferenc Robustness and Open Internet Connect. I assume I don't make any changes to Airport, right?

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You are looking in the wrong place. On the Dock, click on the Finder icon (the face) then from the Go menu on the left side of the toolbar, select Connect to Server

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

what you're describing is under the "airport" icon.....look for the "Go" menu over on the left hand side of the menu bar...."connect to server" will be a selection under the "Go" menu....and make sure you aren't looking for the "Go" menu when you're in an application

edit: beaten to it!

14. jordan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am still learning Tiger and this tutorial is helpling me a lot. I never saw the "Go" before so thanks for that. OK, now that I have it, I typed in her IP address and bingo. I see her compouter and a "drop box." This is really good information. Now how does she get to my public folder? And can I get to files that she puts in that drop box?

15. jordan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can connect to her computer but she cannot connect to mine to get to the files. When she enters my IP address, she cannot connect. The vast majority of the files are on my computer. Must be something simple.

16. Gee macrumors 65816

Your problem lies in the fact that you're connecting via airport. You have a static IP address, which you know, and which your friend is trying to connect to. However, that IP address is taken by Airport, which then assigns a set of standard internal IP addresses, 10.0.1.1, 10.0.1.2, etc to computers connecting to it. So, the IP address of your computer will be 10.0.1.1 or similar, but this will not be visible to the internet at large. Does that make sense?

Anyway, you have two options. 1. connect to the internet by plugging your computer direct to the internet as your friend does, or 2. I'm not sure what the other option is, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you.

However, maybe this whole solution is not the best. You can now connect to your friend's public folder, but you can only drop files into that for her to use; if she manages to connect to you, she will have the same option. I got the impression that you wanted a single folder to which you both have access and which you can both use files in.

Anyone know a way to do this - a shared folder? I know you could do it using a .Mac account iDisk, but that would involve paying for .Mac every year. Anyone have any alternatives?