File Sharing over Internet to Friends

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LeeTom, Mar 29, 2005.

1. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Hey,
    I would like to set up file sharing between my friends and I. Not in the way that iChat works where you can send one file at a time, but in a way that we can browse eachother's files without connecting to a massive P2P network.
    I've thought about forwarding the Personal File Sharing ports through my Airport Express to my Powerbook, but that doesn't seem like the smoothest solution.
    It seems as though AIM for OS X can do such a thing, but I would almost rather not share files if it means using AIM.
    It'd be great if iChat could share the Public folder of a user's home directory.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Lee Tom

2. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Hotline Server and Hotline Client will let you setup a "closed network" between as many computers as you wish.

You can share files, chat, and post news.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I personally think opening any ports to my hard drive from the Internet would be a Really Bad Thing (TM)

Do you have any web space on your ISP's server that comes with your account? If so, you can check to see if you can set up an FTP area on the ISP's server, with password protection. This is available 24/7, and you get to choose what files you bring down to your machine

There may be services available that let you do this for free or for cheap.

4. LeeTom thread starter macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yeah, I have a web/ftp host now, but it's sort of a pain. It seems like, being 2005 and all, that I could theoretically use Finder to Connect To Server and authenticate on my friend's computer at his address, and then see his public folder, you know? or have shared folders integrated into an IM program, so it's seamless for even a novice user.

Lee Tom

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What makes you think you can't do what you want?