file sharing win98 machine to new ibook

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by question fear, May 22, 2003.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I have read through the forums and come across some advice on how to share files between windows and mac computers (have been trying the method described here
    but no luck. I can get my windows computer to find the mac, but then it asked me for a password. i tried my login password for the ibook and failed. do i need my windows computer to have the same name as my os x one?
    also, we have a wireless network in my house and that is what i have been using to connect...should i use a physical connection? what is the difference between a crossover cable and an ethernet cable? Also, once ive established the connection am i going to need a password then too? Finally, is FTP an alternate option?
    One other question on the ibook (its brand-new: just got it yesterday); how do i set up the power adptor with the extension cord? i tried popping the pronged end off but it seemed really tight and i didnt want to hurt anything.
    Thanks in advance for any advice i get.
    Sincerely;
    Carly

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

System Preferences:Accounts:Login Options:Edit User:Allow User to log in from Windows

then try your pass again

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

I tried that and it did not work. I feel like I should restart my win98 machine again. in that it seems to fix all sorts of inexplicable problems. However, assuming that fails, is there any other option?
    --carly

4. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

well, it looks like my roommate and i may have figured it out. thanks for the help though.
    and as for the power adaptor thing, i figured that out too.
    I LOVE MY MAC!