File Sharing WON'T stay checked???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by microgiants, Jan 16, 2004.

1. microgiants macrumors newbie

I have a wireless home network almost working..... On my i-mac running 10.3.2, the "personal file sharing" box in the system preferneces won't stay on/checked no matter how many times I try to turn it on???

It used to work??? This I-mac is one of three computers on a network and the only one w/out an airport card. It's connected directly to the airport base via ethernet???? What Gives? Please, doesw anyone know this answer?

2. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I have the same problem..

I use 10.2.8 12" PowerbookG4 and plus I dont even use Airport, its just an cross cable that I use, but everytime I plug my cable, I have to go to system prefs/sharing/file sharing or windows file sharing.. whatsoever...

I thought this problem would go if I would use Airport, but to see someone with the same problem, even on Panther is disgusting..

3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Did you make sure you hit the lock that says "click lock to prevent changes"?

4. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I tried it, but it doesnt seem to work, I guess that button works for the changes that users of the computer do, not the computer itself..

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Sorry to threadjack.. but you can plug another computer to the airport? Does it act as a router?
    /clueless

6. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

hmmm.... Im not sure if this will help but have you tried reseting your p-ram? Hold down "apple-option-p-r"

Edit: oops, forgot to mention. You have to hold down that key combination while starting up.