File Sharing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spinach, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Spinach macrumors newbie

Ok so file sharing is illegal. What if I buy a CD and let my freinds record it? Is that illegal too? I want to but 4 CDs but can only afford one. My two freinds were going to buy the other 3 and we were going to load them on our iPods ...Is that file-sharing in the illegal sense??? cuz we were gonna do it with about 50 of our cds. what if we do it with like our other 15 freinds?

sorry if it is a dumb question.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, what you're talking about is copyright violation and it is illegal... it doesn't matter how many CDs you're talking about, or how many friends.

3. Spinach thread starter macrumors newbie

I burned a compilation of songs I like for my girl freind. I think thats a pretty common thing..is that filesharing as well.??

Why have cd burners then??

4. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Technically, and sadly, the answer is yes.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you and your (close) friends come to Norway, then you can copy each other's CDs legally. :D The law allows you to share copyrighted material with your closest friends and relatives, except for computer software (which has a special protection from the law, which technically makes backing up software illegal, but that's another discussion).

I think some other countries around the world has similar legislation, often combined with a levy on "recordables", i.e. empty tapes and disks, but as far as I've understood, this is not the case in the US, where this kind of sharing is illegal.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Because you CAN make copies of your songs and burn them onto CDs FOR YOUR OWN USE. It's the transferring of IP (intellectual property: movies, music, books, etc.) to other people that's illegal. Not to mention, you can use CD/DVD burners for data backups of files that you create in Word, Excel, Outlook, Photoshop, etc.

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

If you are making a compilation cd for someone then I honestly wouldn't worry about it.