File Sharing!

Discussion in 'Community' started by B2TM little bro, Jan 16, 2003.

1. B2TM little bro macrumors member

Ok! Here is the schmeal!.... I need help.
    I've tried Neo, Acquistion, LimeWire, iSwipe, and think one more.... Drumbeat, which is dumb cause they make you pay :( I just got a cable modem and I can't download the songs I want. Does anyone have suggestions for a better file sharer, unless i've tried the best, still let me know I'll go and download it again.... All my brother says is... MacIntosh's are the best , blah blah blah.... Well I'm pissed off at this flipping bastard of an eMac right now! I'm starting to believe my friends that PCs are the way to a happier life... and while I'm on that subject.. I've dealt with much degradation because of this machine from friends... ( don't say they aren't my friends b/c of that ) I was about to delete Safari... ooo safari... because i couldn't get to my hotmail account... and what's up with not being able to go into chatrooms!? ... same thing for iChat... no public chatrooms?! WHY NOT! sorry I'm just a little bothered when I have music problems.

2. B2TM little bro thread starter macrumors member

OOps!

excuse the spelling, subject-verb agreement, and all other harbrace errors... i was fired up

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well you're not supposed to talk about illegal pirating on the forums. So let's assume, for the moment, that you're downloading songs you already own. Limewire works somewhat well, but doesn't always have a great selection. I personally use IRC, but that's rather difficult for someone new to IRC...

As for safari, remember it's a BETA version, so it's not working altogether right. Hotmail, at least on my system, can be accessed by trying up to three times-- it'll eventually work.

Don't know about public chat rooms, i thought iChat was quite capable of that, but I use Yahoo! messenger, not AIM. Hopefully someone else can help you there.

:)
    pnw

4. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i have limewire, but EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN FILE I DOWNLOAD IS CORRUPT!!!!!!!!!!! does anyone know why this is... ive tried everything from music i actually enjoy to test runs of pop icons, divas and other spoonfed garbage...

5. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Try DC (Direct Connect) it's much like IRC but much easier to navigate in my opinon.

6. B2TM little bro thread starter macrumors member

7. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i downloaded that yestarday and i must say, its a pain in the arse too... oh well... i can just load up my ****** pc's harddrive full of content from kazaa...

8. Macpoops macrumors 6502

DC is easily searchable once you get into a hub. Problem is each hub has it's own set of content. And you have to find the hub which suits your needs. Generally with a little patience you can get anything you want

9. B2TM little bro thread starter macrumors member

I dl'ed DC and its a little confusing, but its getting the job done

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

some record companies have been known to flood the illegal market w/ corrupt files. you know, to discourage people from stealing.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

today I signed up with www.emusic.com and I've since downloaded nearly 1GB of files through the service...

they have a ton of good stuff...killer catalog...

I'm happy :D

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Good for them they should.

Don't you people realize the more you steal the stricter computing is going to get. Why do you think they are coming out with cpu with encrypted passwords? It's because of people like you who want to steal GBs of music. If you like a song go buy the album. I can understand trying a song out but just doing it to build of your music collection!!!! GRRRRR you people make me so mad.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i assume that by your use of "you," you're referring to those who are stealing, and not me in particular.

i still haven't finished ripping (shudder, i hate that word) all my CDs. you know, the ones i've been buying since 1988.

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

No I wasn't really reffering to any one of you specifically thus the term, "you people". It's just the whole community of people that are tearing away our rights. We're all going to be punished for the wrongs of the few.

15. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

First and foremost, under no circumstances should anyone EVER intentionally distribute garbage files/trojans/virii.

What the RIAA is doing effectively equates to jackhammering freeway overpasses to prevent auto theft!

The cost in bandwidth is paid by all users, and every 200 people that d/l a bogus 5mb song have wasted a GB of bandwith. Bandwidth is not free, and shamelesly exploiting a limited resource costs everyone both $$$$ and connectivity speed.

Secondly, if the RIAA winds up being charged at some point for the TBs of bandwidth they're using, that cost will be billed to CD buyers eventually, so an already inflated product may cost even more.

The RIAA is not around to protect musicians, it is around to protect the RIAA. It is not around to bring you quality music, it is around to maximize profit by selling the most marketable crap it can. Remember that.

It is the artists who deserve your support, not their ill informed handlers.

Finally, the RIAA needs to devote its funds to learning how to compete in a new world. 8 years ago people though books were an endangered species. Now, a big cheap bookstore is one of the biggest business on the web. The RIAA, being an outmoded and unecessary entity, is ensuring their own demise through subterfuge, rather than carving themselves a new niche in the new industry. I hope they fail, so that we can live in a world where music is promoted for quality, rather than the 12-17 year old Pepsi demographic, the easy listening middle class commuter demographic, etc.

Good riddance.

16. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

That's congress...not the RIAA!!!

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's both.

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree that RIAA needs to come to there senses before they make things worse then they already are. On the other hand if people weren't trying to pirate music then those corrupted music files wouldn't tie up any bandwith being downloaded because no one woud be downloading them.

I also agree that the artists deserve our support and we should by all means find ways to support them directly. This also means abiding by there wishes on the distribution of there music though.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

20. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Their wishes do not necessarily equate with the RIAA...it is like a bad 30's Union, which forces you in to access their distro and promo networks. You should read Courtney Love's treatise on the RIAA. It is an interesting read.

I'm still asking an open question that I've been asking for about 2 years:
    Who would suffer if the RIAA ceased to exist?

RIAA execs are already multimillionaires
    Artists can make more money in a free market with the ease of modern distribution
    Consumers can enjoy competetive pricing on CDs
    Consumer will enjoy musicians having to write good songs to succeed
    No more manufactured music tailored to suit the needs of advertising agencies.

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree and already understand what you are saying 100%. You also know that we are going to get the hard end of the stick by software companies in general due to the over use of software sharring.

22. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I see some good trends from many software makers:
    Make it affordable to learn and use
    Make it hard to use for profit without a license

Here are some great decisions:
    Maya PLE, Final Cut Express, Oracle 8i home use edition, Photshop Elements, etc.

The software industry will be very successful if they can change their model so that consumers learn big ticket software, and want to use it at work, and if offices pay their license fees.

Here are some bad ideas:
    Microsoft Licensing 6.0, Phone Home products (which assume always on connections), etc.

If Office had a lite edition (85% of the most used features) for $99, it would SELL all over the place. Sadly, Office is a program which very few people exploit to the fullest (as they don't need to), but we all pay for these features.

It seems the software industry is listening, to a degree. The movie industry has done well to combat piracy by pricing DVDs very competetively, and adding value. The RIAA is the only one who completely lacks any clue.