File sharing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by student_trap, Apr 8, 2006.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hey guys im trying to share files between my powerbook and my girlfriends mbp, any ideas? i'm totally lost, i seem to be getting permission errors.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Wired or wireless file sharing ??

If wired then you need an ethernet cable connect the 2 Macs and IP addy of Gf's mbp and open finder then do cmd (apple key) k to connect to server type in IP addy then connect and bam™ your connected to Gf's mbp:eek: :eek:

the wireless is one i don't know how to setup as have yet since im using the wired way :( :(

3. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

Im currently connected via an ethernet cable.

how do i add the ip address?

also, what server should we connect to?

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

If you open finder then cmd k combo then the connect to server screen will open and the server will be the mbp if you connect from yours and vice vera :eek:

edit: the connect server screen is where you add the IP addy in and hit connect

5. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

ok technically we're connected, but it won't let me use the drop box and shows the attatched warning. any way she can look right into my computer and copy files to hers? she's trying to get a copy of my iphoto library

Attached Files:

6. MacHarne macrumors 6502

System Preferences > Sharing

Select Personal File Sharing and Remote Login. Then from Finder, go to Network and locate your girlfriend's computer. She will have to login in to your computer or vise versa. I've found this to be the most convenient method for file sharing that involves putting things in folders other than the Drop Box.

7. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

do a get info on her drop box and make sure that "Others" is set to "Write only (Drop Box)"

Your drop box should also be set to "Others" "Write Only".

Just dump anything she wants into her drop box. (sounds a bit Benny Hillish)

If you want her to get the files herself then you can leave them in your public folder and she can pick up a copy but this still leaves the files in your public folder which is why it's better to drop them straight to her drop box. You'd only leave them in your public folder (outside the drop box) if you wanted lots of people to be able to pick up the files.