File Sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PCMacUser, Sep 15, 2006.

1. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Hi there,

I'd like to be able to share my Mac's hard drive across my network. At present, I can only share my home folder - how can I set up a share so that I can access the whole drive?

And also I'd like to be able to share my Mac's CD drive and external DVD writer across the network - is this possible? I can do this with Windows XP machines and it only takes a couple of clicks, so I'm hoping it's just as easy on OS X.

Thanks!

2. PCMacUser thread starter macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Hmm, I'm guessing this isn't possible on a Mac? I've searched the 'net and haven't found anything, nor on these forums.

3. NJuul macrumors 6502

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but if you have a network with several macs connected, say through wireless connection, you can connect one mac to the other by "connect to server" (in Finder, under the "Go" menu), and entering the IP-address of the mac you wish to connect to, log in, then choose to connect to the HD. The HD then pops up on the desktop. You might have to enable personal file sharing in the "Sharing" system pref, not sure.