File shredder and Obliterate browsing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hampshireman, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

What are the best programmes for these tasks please?

2. macrumors 603

For "File Shredder", look under the Finder menu for "Secure Empty Trash". You can enter Secure Empty Trash into the Help menu in Finder and get more info. You can also google the search terms Secure Empty Trash.

If you mean something else by "File Shredder", please explain what you want the program to do.

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As chown33 said, using Secure Empty Trash should suffice for securely deleting files. As for "obliterate browsing", I'm assuming you mean erasing your browsing history. If so, you can do that with Safari. There's no need for a 3rd party app.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys and sorry for delay in replying, my MAIL system has been down fir about 6 days.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I will have to look at more details of this.

6. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I use this app to automatically delete browser history, cache, and non-whitelisted cookies when the browser is quit.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks also, maybe this is a bit simpler for a non techie

8. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

For....

file shredding I have a long time using PGP Desktop in the respective versions for Mac and Windows. Obliterate browsing? I suppose that depends in what browser you use. But can be done without special software....

:):apple:

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for these last two suggestions, I am a bit undecided now, with several options. I will have to consider them all once looked at if that is possible without downloading them.