File Size - Incorrect File Size being displayed

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sphereboy, Sep 25, 2002.

1. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

I work on a lot of images each day. I've noticed that when i have a long list of images.. they all read the same size. Yet I know for a fact that some are 10K .. some are 11K .. some are even 15 K... but my detailed view reads 12K all the way down.

In comparing file sizes in a MAC and then take it over to a PC.. the PC sizes are much more accurate than the MAC sizes.

Anyone know why this happens?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

did you ever reformat your hard drive? if you formatted it in mac os standard format instead of extended format, you would get problems with file size reporting.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: File Size - Incorrect File Size being displayed

Click "Get Info" on them in Finder.

see what is says in parenthesis... that gives you the actual size.

As the other poster wrote, are you using Mac OS Standard format or Extended? In standard, there is a minimum block size that a file must use even if it only holds 1 byte. The block size is a function of the size of your hard drive.

It does this in extended too... but is less exagerated.

The difference might be that the Mac OS Finder probably displays the total disk space it users (including minimum block size). Like I said, you can get the "real" size under Get Info.

read this PDF for more info.

arn

4. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

OK.

I did the 'Get Info'

for one file it says:

1) Size: 8 KB on disk (5,542 bytes)

the other file says

2) Size: 8 KB on disk (8,103 bytes)

How can i find out how it was formatted? I bought this mac about 3 months ago. It came with 10.1 and it's a dual 1ghz running Jaguar installed as an upgrade not a clean install.

Thanks

5. mmcneil macrumors regular

The actual size is in parens, the 8KB is the minimum size of a file on disk - for the life of me I can't remember the technical term at this hour of the morning - but it is set when the drive is formatted/initialized.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND you go back and do a CLEAN INSTALL - It makes a HUGE difference in quite a few things. The clean install will save all of your settings/preferences.

6. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

I just don't feel like having to install all my applications again. Here at work it's a PC world and the Tech guys hardly help us out over here.

Could I just copy my Apps folder into the new clean install.

( i doubt it, but i'd thought i'd ask )

7. mmcneil macrumors regular

Yes!! In fact the clean install will not screw up your apps at all - it will merely move your old system and create a new system folder - worked great on my machine and made a huge difference in the speed of the machine - and that was on a 400 Mhz G3 Powerbook. I think the correct option is clean install and Archive.

8. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I wouldn't recommend doing a clean install... you're not going to fix this "problem"... and going to go through a whole lot of trouble.

arn