File Size of Windows Games??

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kiscokid, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Kiscokid macrumors member

Hi

I am installing bootcamp this weekend on my iMac 24" as I want to play some of the latest PC games. I have the 7600 Nvidia card and 2 gigs of RAM so hopefully I should be OK on this front.

I wondered if those of you gamers who have done this have any idea

(a) What file system I should use FAT or NTFS. Presumably the latter is the most secure.

(b) How big I should make the partition for Windows. The latter I am unsure about as the amount of space games take up seems to have gone up over the years. I have a 250 gig hard drive - so would 50 gig of this be acceptable for running say 3 or 4 games?

Thoughts appreciated

2. socks macrumors newbie

(a) NTFS

(b) 50 gig will be more than sufficient to run 3 or 4 games, and even more for that matter.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

FAT32 will let you read and write to the drive when using OSX (useful), coupled with MacDrive in Windows and you're able to access each partition in each OS.

I'm using just 30gb for my Windows partition and I have room for -
    Doom 3 with RoE
    Quake 4
    Prey
    Satan Sam ;) and about 100mb of freeware games
    Half Life 2 with multiplayer & Counterstrike Source.
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
    Worms Armageddon

and still have about 5gb left :)

4. Kiscokid thread starter macrumors member

That sounds good - I have just bought Half-Life 2 and am quite excited to get it going. Isn't FAT 32 supposed to be a bit delicate compared with NTFS?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Probably, NTFS is newer and supposedly better. I've had minimal experience with it, but for compatibility Fat32 rules supreme. Had zero problems with it so far :)

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

FAT32. NTFS is too secure; Mac OS X can't write to it. If you use FAT32 you can read and write to the Windows partition from within OS X.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've always considered it an advantage that Windows can't read the Mac partition; thus, any viruses will destroy the Windows side of things and won't touch my Mac.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Good call! I'll remove it when I'm next in, or just disable the main mac HDD. Externals are fine :cool:

9. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

fat partitions can't be any bigger than 32gb. i found that out when i bought a 40gb hdd for my winblows pc a few years ago

10. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

FAT32 partitions can be 4TB. However, the standard tools in Windows XP won't create partitions larger than 32GB.

The only real problem with FAT32 is the 4GB file size limit.