File transfer from old iMac OS9 to PB OS X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, Apr 6, 2004.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well i just need some quick advice on how to transfer some files from an old iMac running OS 9 to my PowerBook running OS X.

i was going to just put the files on my iPod and then burn a CD on my PowerBook off the iPod. but i just checked and the iMac is really old, it doesn't have any FireWire ports. it's just got 2 USB and one network port.

so is there any way i can boot in 'target disk mode' (where you hold down 'T' at boot) using USB instead of FW?

or, how would i go about setting up a network between the two computers if i just have a regular network cable?

basically, i've got about 1.4GB to get off the iMac. what's the easiest way to do that?

thank you for the help. it's much appreciated. :)

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Just link the two computers with a standard Ethernet cable and turn Appletalk on on both machines. Also turn file sharing on (at least for the PBook). I can't remember how you turn Appletalk on in OS9 (maybe Selector - see below); in OS X it's a tab under "builtin ethernet" in the network pref pane (in Panther).

Apple Menu --> Selector on the iMac

You should see the PBook under the AppleShare icon. Select it and click "ok". Use your user name and password from the PBook. Once connected you can mount your PBook's home (or the entire drive of the PBook or both) on your iMac's desktop. You can then just drag and drop from the iMac.

Hope this works/helps! (it's been a long time since I've used OS 9)

(if a standard ethernet cable doesn't work, use a non cross-over one, or is it a cross-over? Anyways, the other type of Ethernet cable)

3. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

whocares, thank you very much. :)

i'll try that tomorrow. before i read your post i was also thinking whether i need cross-over or a non cross-over cable? can anyone clear that up? or else i'll just buy one of each, don't want to take any chances:)

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

In doubt, buy the "non-standard" as it is sure to work (ask the sales rep., he'll know). Modern Macs support both types of cable, but I'm not sure the iMac will.

5. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i dont think you need a cross over with the mac... it senses the cable and acts accordingly...

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Your new mac should make teh crossover irrelevant, but the old one would need it on a direct connect. I did this when I moved with no problems at all. It copies a huge amount very fast. I"m sure someone else can tell me how fast, but all of my accumlated docs, which probably were only 200mb, went over in seconds.

7. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

thaks everyone. :) i'll pick up a crossover this morning, and see how it goes.

the purpose of doing this is to back up some data from the iMac, becuase obviously it doesn't have a burner. so i was going to burn over the network from my PB. should i be able to do that? i've done it at home with my PCs with no problems...

and should i have to reboot both machines after AppleTalk and everything else is fixed up?

8. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Yes. But I think it would be easier to just drag, drop & burn.
    To do it, mount your iMac's drive on the PBook's Desktop (Connect with Cmd-K in the Finder). Then just add the files to the CD from the "network" drive as you would from any other device. Burn. Bob's your Uncle.

IIRC, no. Just turn it on, plug in the network cables, turn on file sharing and voilà! :cool: :cool:

That's entirely true, but I wonder if the newer Mac can't mannage the direct connect for both machines?

9. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

well i've got the crossover cable now and i'm just leaving for college to try this out. hopefully it works well, because after today everyone's on holidays for a week. :D

ah, i just remembered my brother has a 512MB RAM drive. i could have taken that with me as well for a backup plan. :rolleyes: oh well.

10. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

success!! :D well that all went well without any problems. i just used a crossover cable and it was too easy. although i only ended up transfering the files using the iMac, i couldn't see the iMac from my PB. i still wish i could have burnt a CD over the network using my PB but it was still easy enough.

experiences like this really make me happy that i've got a Mac. :)

11. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

FYI, you only need a crossover cable of neither machine can auto-sense the connection. Since the PowerBook can, you could have gotten away with a standard ethernet cable. And also, not all new machines have auto-sensing - I think the consumer level machines still don't, but if you must know Apple should have knowledge base articles on it (I know it's in the hardware developer docs).

12. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

didn't i need a cross-over because the iMac is older model? it wouldn't have had auto-sensing would it? or does only one of the computers need auto-sensing?

13. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

Only one machine needs auto-sensing.

14. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

And the new consumer machines do support auto-sensing (at least my G3 iBook does...).

15. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

okay, so only one machine needs auto-sensing. oh well... i'll keep this in mind for the future.

16. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

From my first post (#2). ;)