File Transfer help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eeeRIE, Jul 13, 2005.

1. eeeRIE macrumors member

Jan 30, 2005
    I have two macs right beside each other on my desk, an iMac g5 and an emac g4. I primarily use the imac. I have a cable internet connection, both computers operate on the same cable line through a router.

I have a large amount of files I would like to transfer from one computer to the other. About 40 gigabytes worth of files. I'm trying to figure out how to do this. What can I do?

My guess would be that ftp is the way to go... but I don't know how to use it for this sort of thing.

What's the easiest way I can transfer my files?
  2. Video_Producer macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2004

Target Disk mode, buy a firewire cable, shut down the computer you want to take the files from, shut down the other computer, connect a firewire cable to both macs, boot up the computer without files then power up the computer with the file on it, hold down the letter "T" on the keyboard until the firewire icon shows up on the screen, the drive will mount on your desktop, and copy files over.

I think Tiger has a restart in target disk mode but i could be wrong.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Buy a $14 firewire cable. Put one Mac in Target mode (google it), hook them together with the firewire cable. Copy the data from the targeted Mac (now appearing on your Desktop like a firewire disk). Fastest. Easiest.

EDIT: D'OH! Too slow! :)
  4. mattc_187 macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    Hi there I have a similar question. I’ll shortly be buying a G5 Imac soon and already have and G4 Emac. The Imac will be my first ‘new’ Mac.
    My question is, when I get round to setting up my new machine will setup assistant and firewire transfer everything, I mean, applications, mail / isp setting etc. or do applications need reinstalling?
    The “help” on my mac say’s the setup assistant will transfer applications but the staff at the local Apple store say it won’t. I really need to know as I inherited my eMac with the apps already installed and there are a few of them that I don’t have on disk.
    Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated
  5. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    The Netherlands - Utrecht
    Well, i'm not at my mac at the moment, so i might not get all the words right but bear with me...

If the internet connection between router and mac, is done by an Ethernet cable, then, don't run to the store right now to buy a firewire cable... if you got money to burn, then run ahead.

I don't know if it's easy for you, but just unplug the cable from your router and plug it into the other mac.
    Now the mac's should be wired back to back.

I'm not sure, but if you open de finder and dubleclick the 'network icon', does there appear a list where your other mac is listed? If so, doubleclick that name, and log in using your admin user. Now you can browse the other mac.

If not, no panic, yet.....

In the system preference pane, there is a program called 'network', in this opion you can set IP adresses (IP), subnetmask (SN) and Router (RT) and such. (don't forget to write down the original setting, so you can change it back if you please)

For mac A (doens't matter which one) give them the following addresses:

For mac B (doens't matter which one, as long as it's the other one):

Now if you apply both chances..... they should be networked. You can browse the other systems using the finder.

Sometimes it takes a while for the mac's to find eachother and you can connect to an other networked drive....

Using OPTION+K on MAC-A and connecting to afp://, this should give you an option to mount different portions of MAC-B's drive

Hope it helps a bit, sorry if i don't have all the exact names, but again, im at work and mac-less at the moment....
  6. mattc_187 macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    Cuckoo was that in response to my question? If so, thanks but ..
    Just to clarify, i haven't got my new mac yet and already have a firewire cable.
    All i really need to know is will the setup assistant on the G5 imac transfer "everything" i.e. apps, settings, files from my eMac.
    If not then i'll seriously consider sticking with the eMac seen as some of the applications were on there when i bought the machine second hand but i wasn't provided with a hard copy of the applications.
    Has anyone upgraded to a brand new machine who has experience of this?
    If it will transfer everything, then great, i'm of shopping at the weekend :)
  7. Video_Producer macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2004
    I May be wrong, someone correct me if I am, but I think what it does is move the app folder but you will need to install the apps again by entering your serial numbers when you launch the program for the first time.

8. mattc_187 macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    Can anyone confirm this ... specifically for Adobe Creative suite and Quark Xpress ... just i'd need to be up and running straight away.
  9. eeeRIE thread starter macrumors member

Jan 30, 2005
    First of all thank you very much, this is exactly the answer I was looking for but it's not working for me....

I'm not sure why it's not working correctly. I tried connecting them directly with the ethernet cable. I tried setting the IP and subnet values you suggested- they just don't seem to connect correctly. I can't get them to network. I get no results. And if I try to connect to server, it just can never find the specified address.

I do know about the firewire cable, I'll get it if I can't make it work directly through the ethernet cables.
  10. eeeRIE thread starter macrumors member

Jan 30, 2005
    It's funny, sometimes I'm clueless and sometimes I'm brilliant.

Just now, totally on my own and without any help I suddenly realized what to do and how easy it is. I went into the system preferences, turned file sharing on, and connected with my IP address. Instantly I was networked. I can't believe how I didn't see that.

I have it copying files right now. In 15 or 20 minutes I'll already have the first 15 gigabytes copied.

I still can't believe I didn't think to try that in the first place. Thanks to anyone that tried to help.