Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atik

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Tampere, Finland.
I'd like to transfer my music and picture library from my old Windows 98 machine to my new iBook running 10.4.2. I tried this

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/o/joelshoemaker/computer/mac/m98fs.html

but i can't ping my pc. So it's more like a Windows problem. the command ipconfig gives the ip address, but i think it's our appartments network (it was given to us when we moved in) address, not my pc's (or ethernet address).

I'd really like to do it faster than burning everything to cd's. And no i don't have an ipod or an external hd or firewire in my pc.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
ipconfig should tell you the PCs address.

Does: ipconfig /all - make any difference? You're looking for a number along the lines of 192.168.x.x as thats *usually* the local IP number.

The only other suggestion is making sure you follow those instructions to the letter - networking on Win 98 isnt great :)

Can you access your Mac? in your Sharing prefs it'll tell you your Mac IP when you enable windows file sharing eg. http://192.168.2.1/username which should pop up your mac's log in details.

atik

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Tampere, Finland.
no. i don't get it. ipconfig /all gives the same info. it doed give the hardware address 00-01-02-0C-F8-DC. I know the ip address it gives can't be the pc's adresses, coz i have to type this to my xbox live setup.

However everytime i switch my cable from the wall (where my ethernet connection comes from) my mac gives the following notice:

IP configuration

xxx.xx.xxx.xxx (the same ip address i use in my mac for ethernet connection) in use by 00-01-02-0C-F8-DC.

Well, I guess i'll spend the night copying everything to cd-rw's over and over again...

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
How exactly are you physically connecting the two machines? Router? Hub? Direct cable? Not at all?

Based on your response, it would sound like you are in need of a router to help share the connection between your three machines.

atik

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Tampere, Finland.
I'm connecting my mac and pc with a regular ethernet cable. I've read somewhere that i might need a special cable, but I still don't understand why I can't find my PC's ethernet card's IP address. Seems hopeless, could it be that the ethernet card is too old for this or something?

BTW, even though I don't have the PC's ip address, should i be able to ping my mac from the pc (as the mac's ip is easily available) . At the moment I can't ping either way around.

Can the command: ipconfig /all setup be changed?

atik

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Tampere, Finland.
OK, so a CROSSOVER cable is probably needed, or..? I read on a finnish mac community site that newer powerbooks take care of crossing over, so a normal cable can be used.

If i release/renew my ip address with Winipcfg, what exactly happens? (n00b4life...)

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Networking Win98 with Mac OS X is a big pain. It took me forever to do it, and it wasn't fun.

Try the info from this link. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107083

Remember to enable Windows Sharing under System Preferences>Sharing. Warning: even when I got it to work, I think the Mac had a hard time seeing the Windows computer.

I personally think you're better off using just about anything else (flash drive, CD/DVD burner, external hard drive, heck, email probably works better).

I know you don't want to use a burner to save time, but I found that setting up networking sucked up most of the potential time savings.

P.S. No need for a crossover cable, because it's Mac-to-PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.