Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I was wondering if there are any file transfer apps that don't require a Wifi network? I'm at school and primarily use my MBP in my apartment where we have ethernet and no wifi. I've tried Datacase and, even with Wifi, wasn't impressed, and now am downloading MobileFinder, but it looks like that needs Wifi too.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
I was wondering if there are any file transfer apps that don't require a Wifi network? I'm at school and primarily use my MBP in my apartment where we have ethernet and no wifi. I've tried Datacase and, even with Wifi, wasn't impressed, and now am downloading MobileFinder, but it looks like that needs Wifi too.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Go to airport status in your taskbar. Choose "Create network" and name it. Now go to your phone and open up settings and go to WiFi, choose the network you just created on your computer. Now you can use Data Case and transfer files back and forth.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

There is no way for apps to use the USB connection to transfer files like that with the SDK/API, best you could do is setup an adhoc wifi network on your MBP.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

There is no way for apps to use the USB connection to transfer files like that with the SDK/API, best you could do is setup an adhoc wifi network on your MBP.

Who are you talking to? I don't think he was talking about USB

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
Go to airport status in your taskbar. Choose "Create network" and name it. Now go to your phone and open up settings and go to WiFi, choose the network you just created on your computer. Now you can use Data Case and transfer files back and forth.

Question. This is what I do at home, because the wifi networks in the area aren't all that strong inside my apartment, but whenever I create a network with my iMac, I have to go into sharing and disable and then reenable internet sharing in order for the airport icon to flip from the computer to the up arrow indicating it's sharing the connection. Is there any way to permanently enable that feature or does it have to be manually changed every time you create a network?

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007

Had no idea I could do that, thanks very very much

ginguar

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2008
London, UK

This is great for me at home as I have a MBP but is there a similar way of doing this if you are stuck on a windows box like I am at work. Unfortunately at work I can't get my phone on the wifi network.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA

Bear Hunter said:

Who are you talking to? I don't think he was talking about USB

Uhm well do you see anywhere to plug a CAT5 cable into the iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.