File transfer without Wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by vp719, Aug 25, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I was wondering if there are any file transfer apps that don't require a Wifi network? I'm at school and primarily use my MBP in my apartment where we have ethernet and no wifi. I've tried Datacase and, even with Wifi, wasn't impressed, and now am downloading MobileFinder, but it looks like that needs Wifi too.

Ideas?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Go to airport status in your taskbar. Choose "Create network" and name it. Now go to your phone and open up settings and go to WiFi, choose the network you just created on your computer. Now you can use Data Case and transfer files back and forth.

3. macrumors 65816

jaseone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

There is no way for apps to use the USB connection to transfer files like that with the SDK/API, best you could do is setup an adhoc wifi network on your MBP.

4. macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Who are you talking to? I don't think he was talking about USB

5. macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Question. This is what I do at home, because the wifi networks in the area aren't all that strong inside my apartment, but whenever I create a network with my iMac, I have to go into sharing and disable and then reenable internet sharing in order for the airport icon to flip from the computer to the up arrow indicating it's sharing the connection. Is there any way to permanently enable that feature or does it have to be manually changed every time you create a network?

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Had no idea I could do that, thanks very very much

7. macrumors member

yoAlex

There is always DiskAid which is usb-based, but it does require the client computer to host software

8. macrumors regular

This is great for me at home as I have a MBP but is there a similar way of doing this if you are stuck on a windows box like I am at work. Unfortunately at work I can't get my phone on the wifi network.

9. macrumors 65816

jaseone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Uhm well do you see anywhere to plug a CAT5 cable into the iPhone?