File type and protocol associations

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jakaj, Oct 27, 2006.

1. jakaj macrumors member

Hi,

how do file type and protocol associations work in OS X?

If I show info of a file, I can also select the app I want to use to open all apps of that type. Is this only based on the file extension? Or does it use mime types to?

Another thing, where can I set which app handles protocols (say, http://, smb://)?

Jaka

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X can associate files of a given type with a single app globally. It can also associate files of a given type with different apps on a case-by-case basis. Association is keyed to the file extension. MacOS 9-style CREATOR/TYPE codes are also recognized.

3. jakaj thread starter macrumors member

So both .jpg and .jpeg associations have to be set, for example, if you want your JPEG images to open using a single program?

What about protocol associations?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean by "have to be set"? They can be set to any compatible app.
    Your web browser handles http//. The Go > Connect to Server... menu selection dialog box in the Finder handles smb//.

You are making this way too complicated. It's a Mac; it just works.

5. jakaj thread starter macrumors member

So I did some testing.

If I change the handler for .jpg files, the handler for .jpeg files also get's updated. So obviously, this isn't just extension based, as it's written on the confirmation dialog.

So, I'm asking again: what are the program<->file associations based on, and where are these settings saved?

And please, if you don't know the answer, don't say "it just works". It obviously does. I want to know how it does.

Ok, and itms is handled by iTunes, skypeme is handled by Skype, adium and adiuminstall are handled by Adium, so what? I'm asking where the configuration for these mapping is being stored.

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I use a free app called RCDefaultApp to control any default association in OS X. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Some screens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I made this point in my original response to your OP.

8. jakaj thread starter macrumors member

?!?

(Assuming the jpg and jpeg files had no creator/type set, since they were empty files, made using touch)

Anyway, Compile 'em all, thank you, it's just what I've been looking for. Also, everything is explained in the FAQ for the app.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is not nice to selectively quote other members. It is particularly annoying when they are trying to help you.

10. jakaj thread starter macrumors member

I still think we don't understand each-other, but I've found out what I wanted to know and so it doesn't matter anymore.

Nevertheless, by quoting you, I only wanted to point out what I couldn't understand. I apologize if it came out wrong and thank you for your help.