file type association

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by szsiddiq, Nov 8, 2006.

1. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

quick question: how do you change the default program a file opens in? ie. open .avi movies in divx instead of quicktime

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Select icon, Get Info, Open With, change application, Change All button.

3. szsiddiq thread starter macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

sweet! and that'll change it for ALL files of this type then?
    thanks!

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It might. ;)

If you want to do it on an individual basis, just don't click the Change All button.

5. 123dan321 macrumors newbie

Bump -

So I do the whole 'Get Info' > 'Open With' thing, to try to get a particular file type (.seq) to open with TextEdit by default. When I click "Change All...," I get the "are you sure?" dialog, to which I click Yes - however, the Get Info window immediately reverts back to the old default application (QuickTime), and all files with the .seq extension still call up QuickTime as the default app. Anyone have any idea why this preference for TextEdit isn't sticking?

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Because TextEdit cannot open the files. It only works if you actually pick an application that can handle the file.

7. 123dan321 macrumors newbie

I actually end up opening them manually with TextEdit (right click > Open With...) - these files are simply strings of A's, T's, C's, and G's, and TextEdit displays them quickly and perfectly. Oh well - it's not too much trouble to change them to .txt files.