File Vault HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by stoid, Nov 3, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'd been working heavily for the past week on a complex program on my laptop. After installing Panther I turned on FileVault. I managed in the process of troubleshooting a keychain problem killing Safari in a way that required a fresh OS install. I did not turn FileVault on, simply because it is not a feature I need and it slowed down certain file moving operations. Now I open that project, and to my horror all my code has been scrambled into meaningless odd characters that needless to say is not even remotely usable. How do I get all my work back? If I turn on FileVault, I'm afraid it will simply reapply the encryption to the encrypted file and then I'll have a double encrypted and still useless file! Help please, this is a very, VERY BAD situation!!!!

2. Chealion macrumors regular

Try using the Master Password or something to get it back. If that doesn't work contact Apple, and pray.

The encryption is very strong, and Apple said something like it would take a computer a really long time (don't remember number) to decrpyt it.

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Surely someone must have at least SOME idea that I can try, somewhere!

An app maybe that allows you to input the user password (because the encryption key is based solely on user password I think) and regenerates the key to decrypt a file??

4. Prabz macrumors member

">>>approximately 149 trillion years to crack a 128-bit AES key."

Yup, Stoid, it should take you no time at all, to decrypt it:D !!!

Anyway, seriously man, hope things work out for you...
    Definitely seek out professional help. I think Filevault is pretty much immune to everything. I don't see how you could just have the option to re-enter the filevault password without having the application turned on. And you should not try that either... lest it getz worse!
    Hopefully, Apple *might* have anticipated this situation, and may have the solution.

Good Luck!

Prabz