File xfer in MSN Messenger?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by micsaund, Aug 13, 2004.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Hi All!

All of my friends use MSN Messenger (as do I on my other machines). I've noticed that I cannot xfer files using MSNM that I just installed on my new PB though :confused:

When I attempt an xfer, it bombs almost immediately with a "We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers."

I, at first, thought it might be the new Linksys router I have been using, so I switched back to my previous D-Link, which **I know works** as it's what my pre-PB laptop/rest of my network was using for over a year.

Anyway, I cannot get any xfers to work on the Mac. I have the built-in firewall turned off. The router has uPNP enabled, latest 10.3.5 patches, latest MSNM (downloaded last night).

Any ideas why my Mac is failing me when my Winbloze machines are working OK?

Thanks much,
    Mike

2. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Just had a friend who has *not* upgraded to the latest MSNM on his Win machine try an xfer with me and it WORKED. Thus, I must conclude that the version of MSNM on www.micrsoft.com/mac is NOT compatible with the latest Winbloze version. I guess I'll go to MSN and see if there's anything better.

Also, I tried Adium, but it does not show the status of the file xfer (ie. I closed it last night when an xfer was still in process), so I wanted to try the "real" MSNM since that's what I've been using (and all Win friends use).

Mike

3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

BTW if you're doing a file transfer in Adium, you can open Console.app to see the progress of the file transfer. This will do until they add file transfer status into the Adium GUI.

4. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Thanks for the console tip - that did in-fact work, however, there is no way to cancel the xfer (like in MSNM). I guess I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - neither one works ideally. :(

5. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Holy Bizzaro-world, Batman. I just got an xfer from my friend who's using the newer version and it worked. Then, I sent a file and it worked... :confused:

Weird -- I'm going to reboot and see if it still works, but hopefully, this is a problem that magically fixed itself...

EDIT: Now, it doesn't work... WTH is going on... :mad:

Mike