Filemaker Advanced vs Access

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fh2level, Sep 16, 2006.

1. fh2level macrumors regular

fh2level

Is Filemaker Advanced as Powerfull as Access. I usually use exstensive databases: multiple tables, sub tables, several quiries and reports, macros and excel import/export. I want to start using my Mac since there is no Access, will Filemaker be an equivilant substitute?
    sorry for sp errors
    Thanks

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Well FileMaker can be quite powerful when you know what you're doing. I think the true power comes from its ease of use, the development time in FileMaker is extremely fast. All the usual things you'd need should be there as far as relational stuff goes, multiple tables/files etc. It's really pretty amazing that FM has been able to walk this fine line of providing power for the developer while keeping the UI simple and easy for the end user. You should go to the FM website and download the 30 day demo and see what you think. There are tons of online resources like fmforums.com, databasepros.com and of course, FileMaker.com to help you get going. I've been using it for about 5 years or so now and I wouldn't touch Access with a pole at this point. For cross-platform development, FM is a great solution. And it's got a very powerful scripting engine as well as AppleScript support so if you're into automation you'll be in heaven. It also has native Excel in/out. Give it a try and see if you like it.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

One of the reasons that Microsoft never ported Access to the Mac is that the Microsoft DBMS is a steaming pile. FileMaker is not only the most popular DBMS on the Mac, it is the second most popular DBMS on Windows. Access owes its survival to having been included in the Office:win bundle. Even though FileMaker is owned by Apple, it receives no special treatment. It has go up against some excellent competition with quality and ease-of-use as its only weapons. 4th Dimension is a revolutionary as FileMaker. OpenBase is included with the MacOS X Development Tools.

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i didn't realize this. where is it located exactly? i am a Daylite and Lightspeed consultant so i tinker with the OEM OpenBase apps from them but would love to see what Apple's distribution is all about. while we're talking databases, Core Data in XCode is very cool too, although i can't take much further beyond the basics since i don't know any ObjC or Cocoa.