Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Filemaker announced that they will be shipping FileMaker Pro 8.5 today. The major upgrade brings Universal Binary support as well as new features including live Web data.

As easy as it is to bookmark a web page, a live web page can now be added to a record in a database using the new Web Viewer Control in FileMaker Pro 8.5. Data in specified record fields, such as customer's address or product name, will drive the URL in the Web Viewer.

FileMaker Pro 8.5 is available immediately for $299 and existing users of FileMaker 8.0 can upgrade for $99.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
This is such a great piece of software - I use it for way more than I ever planned. Now to get an Intel Mac!

I hope that the live web feature is really worth $99...

riversky

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2005
Check out the speed!

Under the universal new feature link on the product site they give a 2GHZ iMac G5 vs. 2GHZ iMac Intel Duo and on add it is almost twice as fast. 91%...All the other things are much faster as well.

Can't wait for quad core MacPro's. These things will make CS3 fly. One adobe exec said photoshop tests in CS3 show astonishing speed improvements under Mac OS on Intel.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Sweeeeet

I'm not entirely sure how I'm gonna use them yet, but I just have a feeling object functions are going to give me the ability to add some cool features to my programs.

I'll have to see the live web view in action before I start planning to fit it in, but it may lead to some interesting things.

Can't wait to get my hands on it!

phasornc

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2003
$99 just to use FM again?

So I have to pay another $99 just so I can use FM on my MacBookPro. ODBC import wouldn't work in Rossetta, so FM 8 was useless to me on the MacBook (unless I used the windows version under Parrallels, but that kept crashing during large imports that I must do regularly, so I had to get the G4 back out of the closet). And you know FM9 is probably just around the corner . . . greedy bastards. Even the universal binary update to Logic Pro was only like $30.

I can only think there are 2 things reasons behind this pricing 1) FM is just full of bad programmers and managers who are punishing loyal Mac users or 2) Apple has cut Filemaker funding forcing them to operate on a shoestring with a small staff and making them fight for every dollar they can get. I think #2 is more realistic, maybe if FM could figure out a way to run on an iPod Apple would make it a priority again. But come on who needs a database on your computer when you have iLife?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.