Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Okay.. ive never used this app. Anyone know what its for and can anyone give me the low down on the ease of use or any other expierence. Im curious.

I think its an app to manage your files for a web site but im not sure.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Some info

Basically, it's a database program designed to organize your data and allow the user to present them in a nice way. You can organize anything from financial data to mailing labels and addresses. FileMaker Pro also has some web support functions that allow the user to put the database on the web for surfers to access them. Of course, you would have to work out the HTML to make that happen on your site.

Compared to Access, it's much easier to use, although it has nowhere near the power of database workhorses like Oracle. Here's a review of FMP on CNET:

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-3227835-1205-20121688.html?tag=rev-rev

I had just purchased version 6 for about $150, academic version of course. :D I exported a bunch of data I had stored in Excel and imported into FMP in less than a minute.

BTW, I heard that "Learn FileMaker Pro" by Jonathan Stars is a pretty good book in case you were thinking of getting a book with FMP. I'm planning to buy the later version when it comes out in September. You can read a review on Amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...s.7/102-7798381-6939341?coliid=I1I9GHYVSVUY8N

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
my mom uses it for her huge address book... did you just buy it? or are you looking to buy it? or what?

as boring an app as it is, the filemaker demo at macworld (2 years ago) made me want it.... ha

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2002
Somewhere near Philadelphia
FMP Rules, though I am a little let down by 6.0. I used to work at a magazine and the whole business relied on FMP. We used to to track advertising, manage newsstand distribution and manage subscribers. I don't use it like I used to, but I made a little billing system with it for my business and I also made one database for my daily journal. You can do a ton with it and it is 253 times easier to use than Access.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Does FMP use SQL?

I'm trying to create a database using REALbasic, with the data pulled from FMP. Does anyone know whether FMP uses SQL? What about Access? Anyone with any experience on this topic? Even if you are just familiar with databases, I would still like to have your input. Any advice or answers appreciated. Thanks.

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2002
Somewhere near Philadelphia
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think FMP plays nicely with SQL stuff. But I think I have seen some people do some RealBasic stuff and FMP. Maybe check and see if RB has a message board like this and ask around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.