Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, Apple subsidiary FileMaker Inc. announced that it was discontinuing its consumer-friendly Bento database software to focus on its flagship FileMaker line. Now, AppleInsider is claiming that the company has laid off 20 employees and is undergoing the process of restructuring, according to sources from within the company.

filemaker_pro_screenshot-800x460.jpg
Sources say Thursday's rumored job cuts are associated to Bento's demise, adding California-based external representatives, sales engineers, and technical support staff were let go. The layoffs may extend further, however, as at least one person responsible for sales of the flagship FileMaker software is said to no longer be with the company.
The latest version of the company's flagship software, FileMaker Pro 12, was released in April 2012. The latest version of the company's Bento software however, was released more than two years ago, with an iPad version appearing in June 2012. FileMaker will stop offering Bento in both the Mac and iPhone/iPad App Stores as of September 30 of this year, although it will continue to support the apps until the end of July 2014, according to a post on FileMaker's technical support page.

FileMaker Pro 12 is currently priced at $299 for new users and $179 for upgrade users. An advanced version of the software, FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced, is $499 and $299 respectively. Both versions of the software are available for purchase on the company's website.

Article Link: FileMaker Reportedly Lays Off 20 Employees Following Announcement of Bento Discontinuation

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley
Bento is priced right but has limited features. Filemaker Pro is too expensive but has powerful features. Is there a database program that falls in the middle here?

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Although I really had no use for Bento, I hope each employee is able to find a new job somewhere else.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sad news... Bento was great, but the difference in cost to jump upto FileMaker is just not worth the difference for those users who were fine with Bento's feature set - which now leaves them somewhat in a limbo.

If Apple had any gumption they would have taken Bento out of the FileMaker portfolio and actually 'added' it to its iWork suite of apps as the missing database application....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They still may.

Sadly since we havent had any meaningful update since 09 (excluding the . updates) and since iWork in the cloud is essentially the same again - there is little evidence to indicate a real 'new' version of iWork is going to be available anytime soon or even in the future....

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Pro Advanced?

Are they trying to rival Microsoft's ability to create confusing product names?

Also, is a sales engineer actually an engineer, or is someone misusing the word?

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Sadly since we havent had any meaningful update since 09 (excluding the . updates) and since iWork in the cloud is essentially the same again - there is little evidence to indicate a real 'new' version of iWork is going to be available anytime soon or even in the future....

During WWDC Keynote they said this fall

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
They still may.

Yup!

We have a statement that they will release new versions of iWork for Mac and iOS in addition to iWork for iCloud in the Fall - and Bento is no more.

That either means - well, Bento is no more - or that Bento will become part of the iWork suite.

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
Can anyone recommend a comparable product

You should have ended your question there! ;) I bet there are a number of people who'll take the next part too literally:

if it doesn't end up being part of iWork?

Meaning you might never find out! ;)
I purchased Bento on the iPad and regretted it almost immediately. I couldn't export my data so I didn't bother creating anything... I should have asked for a refund but didn't.

Anyway, I'd like to echo some of the other posts. Anyone know of a comparable product? Now!?

:)

Cheers folks!

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Bento as I'm aware is quite well used. Perhaps just my circle of friends.

Some have Filemaker, but that's only if they have larger businesses.

Another death in Apple's ecosystem. Pro's moving to Windows in their droves. Video editors already dumping their Mac Pro machines for Windows workstations leaving FCP for Premier, audio going the same direction with lack of newer Mac Pro machines, photography just hanging on but lack of CUDA support with Apple only offering AMD may kill them off.

Never looks right when you walk in to a creative business, you see lots of Apple desktops then you look at the admin department and they're all on crappy looking Dell desktops.

mrmac007

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
United Kingdom
We live In hope

Only time will tell,since I switched to macs in 2007 time and time again over the last few years apple have fallen short and thrown the baby out with the bath water. I've hoped apple would accommodate the small business user since . Mac and migrated to Mobile me they got rid of .Mac groups which I used a lot, then they did away with iWeb and Moileme and hosting making me have to use another web designer again and web hosting site. Now my beloved data base program is under attack. I'm seriously thinking about switching to Windows. Apple love to cut things and leave people high and dry with no options. Being self employed Apple was a god send but over the last few years. Things have got difficult to cope with. With all these changes.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I thought that was more for the full proper release of iWork in the cloud, not an actual new iWork ?

It was my understanding that iWork is due for a proper update from what was said in the keynote. But since iWork has been abandoned for so long it may be that all Apple sees fit to mainly only change it its iCould integration.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
When companies drop software like this they destroy user access to their own user data. It should be illegal for a large company to do this and keep existing. Even in bankruptcy should not allow this. Continued support for the product is a liability that the company should be required to keep up with just like warranties and tax debt. If the company goes out of business then money from the sale of the company assets should be set aside to continue maintenance and the software/hardware should go into the public domain. The same holds for operating systems. Apple should not have been allowed to abandon MacOS Classic, PPC support, 68K support, etc. They can easily emulate all that - as they have proven - and they are so huge they should maintain those so that users can continue to access their data. Life lasts more than just five years. We need a Data Life Guarantee Law since companies are not willing to do this themselves.

nealibob

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Pro Advanced?

Are they trying to rival Microsoft's ability to create confusing product names?

Also, is a sales engineer actually an engineer, or is someone misusing the word?

The name is dumb, but they've been using it for a long time, so at least it's consistent.

I agree that "sales engineer" is a suspect title. It sounds to me like your job is to engineer sales, i.e. lie in a technical way. However, my experience with the sales engineers at FileMaker has been excellent: competent and helpful folks.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I agree that "sales engineer" is a suspect title. It sounds to me like your job is to engineer sales, i.e. lie in a technical way. However, my experience with the sales engineers at FileMaker has been excellent: competent and helpful folks.

Sales Engineer is a very common title throughout the entire software industry; it has nothing to do with Apple specifically.

In B2B software sales, the sales rep is responsible for (surprisingly enough) getting the sale. This means they're the main point of contact, getting the prospect the information they need, working on the sales contract and terms, working out a price and in general looking to understand what the customer truly needs on a business level, and so on. They're there to get the sale.

However, they're not expected to be technical. Sure, they may know the product fairly well at a high level, but not the details or specifics.

This is where the Sales Engineer comes in. They may not know the business specifics of the deal, but they understand the technical aspects extremely well. Typically, they demo the product for the customer and handle the technical questions about the product, and also understand the technical environment the product may be placed into. In addition, the Sales Engineer also takes feedback from demos and installations back to development for possible product fixes and enhancements.

Again, Sales Engineer is a well-known term in B2B software sales and has nothing to do with Apple; it's not a sketchy title in any way, nor does it imply that someone is trying to "engineer" the sale. If the product/customer is/are technical enough, yes, they'll also be engineers, but probably not for less technical products and situations.

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Bento is priced right but has limited features. Filemaker Pro is too expensive but has powerful features. Is there a database program that falls in the middle here?

Since it's Apple, I'm betting they take the high end version and do to it what they did with Final Cut Pro and drop the price dramatically.. I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS added to iWorks..

They tend to provide software cheep .. this is one of the applications that stands out and we might be in for an alignment with the rest of their software.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
This is sad news, but for those who might be worried, Filemaker Pro (the product) is doing quite well. And unlike Bento, FMP exist for Windows. (BTW I'm not trying to justify Bento's discontinuation by saying that).

Sure it's not as used as MS Access, but it has quite a large following. Filemaker Go on iOS makes it a very powerful and easy to use tool to create custom business apps for the iPhone and iPad. As far as I know there's nothing even remotely close on Android or Win RT, and may account in part to the iPad large acceptance in the business world.

For those who'd like to see HyperCard on the iPad, Filemaker is similar in many ways.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
When companies drop software like this they destroy user access to their own user data. It should be illegal for a large company to do this and keep existing. Even in bankruptcy should not allow this. Continued support for the product is a liability that the company should be required to keep up with just like warranties and tax debt. If the company goes out of business then money from the sale of the company assets should be set aside to continue maintenance and the software/hardware should go into the public domain. The same holds for operating systems. Apple should not have been allowed to abandon MacOS Classic, PPC support, 68K support, etc. They can easily emulate all that - as they have proven - and they are so huge they should maintain those so that users can continue to access their data. Life lasts more than just five years. We need a Data Life Guarantee Law since companies are not willing to do this themselves.

So if Charles Babbage ever sold one of his difference Engines, then you'd expect it to be posthumously supported still?

I don't get your point.

Once Bento is stopped being produced, the hardware and software that customers are currently using to create/access their data will not cease working.

If people upgrade their hardware and it stops them from using the Bento they paid for, who's fault is that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.