Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sspitsbergen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Farmington Hills, MI
I know it may get me beaten (virtually), but I need to know the outcome of Access vs Filemaker. I have been using Access for a few years, feel pretty comforatable with it and willing to use Virtual PC (no matter how much it hurts) to be able to use the Access capabilities. However, I want to look at Filemaker and determine if it could perform the same functions as I have developed in a particular Access database I have developed. I owe this to my Mac loving self (and the people I want to use the database).

Ok, my main uses of Access are the workflow functions you can develop using forms, and the scripting to allow me to do anything I want with them. In my, admittingly spotty, research, I have not seen where filemaker has comparable power in freedom to develop and use proper database building techniques.

If anyone can argue the point to where I should look again at filemaker, or knows where there are some (unbiased or not) decent published comparisons, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Well, it's pretty impossible to say. You have developed a programming style in Access, and you want an opinion if you can do the same in FileMaker. All I can say is that FileMaker has a powerful and flexible scripting function, and it will be different in almost all details to how Access does it. Would you stick with Filemaker long enough to develop the familiarity you have now with Access? I don't know.

You also need to ignore all comparisons pre-Filemaker Pro 7. Filemaker Pro 7 fundamentally changed the architecture of the product, making it more like Access than the previous versions.

Why don't you download a trial version of Filemaker Pro 7 and some of Filemaker Inc's free application databases, and try picking those apart to see how they are made?

sspitsbergen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Farmington Hills, MI
CanadaRAM said:
Why don't you download a trial version of Filemaker Pro 7 and some of Filemaker Inc's free application databases, and try picking those apart to see how they are made?

I have done this at a superficial level, and I found that FM wasn't going to be what I needed, but I was wondering if I was too quick in my assessment. I have now downloaded the user manual (and will read on my upcoming vegas vacation) and will play with the trial version some. Thanks.

Still would like to see some other comments, especially from those who use both.

Sean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.