Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epzcaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I use an IPod to listen to plays and spoken books which I either convert from CD or record from internet radio stations.

I normally split these into short (5 minute) files so that I can navigate easily through the play/story.

So I generate a set of MP3 files with similar names, e.g.

bleakhouse01.mp3
bleakhouse02.mp2
bleakhouse03.mps
bleakhouse04.mp3

etc.

I keep all my MP3 files in a folder unrelated to ITunes.

I then create a playlist in ITunes, and import the files into it. The files are not, however, imported into the ITunes music library.

Frequently, though not always, I find that ITunes loses the detailed information and I end up with a set of files all with the same name, e.g. 'bleakhouse.mp3'.

I have no idea if these are in the right order so I have no option but to go thorugh the files one by one and change their names. Thsi is very tedious and also very annoying because is shoudn't be necessaray.

Am I missing something? Can anyone suggest a remedy?

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
for files imported to itunes that have no metadata itunes will at first just add the files to the playlist, when you go to listen, itunes takes a set number of characters and makes it the name and never updates the metadata with the original filename or nothing. so if you had xxxxxxxxx1 and itunes only takes xxxxxxxxx you will lose the number. Try naming the files 01xxxxxxx, 02xxxxxx, etc.

It's really annoying when importing a song where all the title, artist album and track number are in the title and then you lose half of it before getting a chance to edit the track info...

epzcaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Thank you for this.

I am very ignorant about metadata but assume it is the stuff I see when I look at the properties of an MP3 file in Windows - title, artist, date etc

I have looked at the files in question, and note that the title in the metadata is different from the name of the file, and it is the title in the metadata which appears in Itunes.

If I remove the metadata title altogether, then ITunes uses the filename.

So what I need to do is to delve into the recording programme and find out how it defines the metadata title and get that under control!

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.