files in Home Folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Mar 2, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I want to use Back up to. well back up. I have a folder in my Side Bar that I call A1. It has all of my most used files. Is this folder automatically also in the Home Folder somewhere??? I can't seem to find it, but someone told me once that basically everything is there and if I back up the Home Folder, I can be sure that my A1 folder would be backed up too. Is this true?? I created A1 when I first got my Powerbook 3 yrs ago. I'm using OSX 10.4.5 too.

Thanks

Frank

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Go to A1, hold down COMMAND and click on the A1 in the Title Bar. Does it mention your Home folder in the drop down list? :)

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>click on the A1 in the Title Bar<<

What is the Title Bar??

I'm amazed at how little I really know about OSX and I've been using it for years.
    Sorry.

Frank

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just the top of Finder. If you click on the name of the folder at the top of the Finder window, it should give you a drop down list of where that folder is located. :)

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow, I just did a Spotlight search for A1 and found it tucked away in the Home Folder in Users/Home(my name)/Documents.

Guess it is in there. Not really sure how it even got there. Wonder if I put it there 3 yrs ago and never really thought about it.

Now where do those files "really" reside, or doesn't it really make any difference.

Looks like my iPhoto files, iTunes files, Docs, etc are in the Home folder. So I guess if I back up that one folder, I'll back up basically everything I want to back up. Humm. OSX is pretty amazing.

Frank

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Just the top of Finder. If you click on the name of the folder at the top of the Finder window, it should give you a drop down list of where that folder is located.<<

Ahhh, got it. I was looking in the wrong place. That's pretty slick. No wonder I don't do Windows. <g>. OSX surprises me daily!!
    Thanks.
    Frank

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, grab that Home folder for a back up.

You may also want to quickly go through your Applications folder and grab any apps you may need that might be hard to find again (assuming they didn't come on disks) although obviously this isn't necessary. :)