Files locked in Classic

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TraceyS/FL, Jan 23, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

UGH. My DD is doing her spelling on the computer - Calvert Spelling. This is the their first attempt at a Mac program - and honestly, it stinks.

I can't run it at all under OSX - which it is supposed to work too.

To get it to run under Classic, I had to set the permissions on the folder to Everyone can read/write (She runs under Simple Finder BTW).

She got thru Chapter 1 fine - now as she is moving onto Chapter 2 (never mind she is on Chapter 10 on this computer - but I can't get the user files moved and working), it is popping up an error message: Program can't open some files because they are locked by another application. Please try later.

I have never in my life seen such a poorly written Mac piece of software.

I have no clue where to even start - and the last time I tried calling their support, well, I got NO WHERE. They hadn't even attempted to run it on a Mac, they had had someone else write it for them.

She is using this on the iBook, running 10.3.9 i think (i can check later).

Tracey.... who is so NOT having a good computer week

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

3. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Not at this point (bought it in Sept) - and, then i'd have to hunt down another spelling program for her.... and i'm not up to that! LOL!!! (the life of a Homeschool mom)

I haven't heard from them yet.... I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, she is typing her paper on it (man she is SLOOOWWWWWWW, time to install the typing program!).

I had such high hopes for it - it was so highly recommended under the older version - which was windows only. So when they went Mac, i did a cheer.

I'm going to either make them make it work, or, or, i don't know what, but something!

4. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

For the record - i'm trying the OSX install - again.... it's running on the eMac with 10.4.8.

Banghead.

5. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

OK, the OSX installed worked this time, so far anyway. I had to do permissions to everyone read/write again, but I was able in her account to get thru the first chapter.

Gee, i'm awful good at spelling these words :D

The way my week is going - i'm sure it won't work tomorrow, or after a reboot.....

6. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm going to SCREAM.

It locked up again - saying that they couldn't open the files because another app has them in use. This is in her account - worked fine in mine.

I recall having issues running Simple Finder on the eMac, but then i upgraded to Tiger on it and it seemed to have fixed it. I don't really want to spend that money - but well, i guess if i have to that I will.

Back to troubleshooting.

7. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

ROFL, i'm talking to myself. But i figured i'd just keep updating so that if by chance anyone else runs into the problem....

I'm pretty sure the issues are related to the "almost working" Managed accounts in Panther. A lot of the controls were fixed in Tiger - i experienced them all when I upgraded.

I recieved this from the Calvert people today:

I know that isn't totally true - i'm typing on an eMac running 10.4 that it runs in a Simple Finder account.

i don't let my kids in my Admin account - oh the havoc they could do!

But honestly, this is such a poor thing on their part, I still can't believe it.

Here is the product link:
    http://www.calvertschool.org/engine/content.do?BT_CODE=CES1884