Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lonb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Hi - I'm new to C++ development on Mac and I'm having trouble getting my environment up and running. Actually, what I'm trying to do is use Macports and it seems like the shared libraries are missing from the /usr/lib folders.

However, it looks like everything I need is located in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/lib. Do I need to do something to get the libraries into the right place?

Thanks,

Lon

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Hi - I'm new to C++ development on Mac and I'm having trouble getting my environment up and running. Actually, what I'm trying to do is use Macports and it seems like the shared libraries are missing from the /usr/lib folders.

However, it looks like everything I need is located in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/lib. Do I need to do something to get the libraries into the right place?

No, MacPorts stores them in /opt/local/lib to avoid touching Apple's provided libraries. And when MacPorts builds a port, it uses stuff from /opt/local/* and installs into the appropriate /opt/local directories (etc, lib, bin, man, etc). It's a pretty spiffy entirely self-contained system of apps/config files/libraries/binaries.

lonb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Ok so it turns out I had an install problem. I re-installed Xcode 3.2 (with all options ticked); then re-installed Macports 1.8.1 and all was good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.