files on desktop do not appear?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petercw2, Oct 21, 2004.

1. petercw2 macrumors member

Recently I noticed that files that I put on my desktop do not appear on the desktop, despite the fact that you can see them in the Finder on the desktop. Oddly enough, the icon for my HD does appear on the desktop. Also, if I try and make a new folder on the desktop, I get an error code.

Also, if I drag the mouse with the button held down, an empty icon is "highlighted" on the desktop. I cannot click on it any in form, and it does NOT appear in the finder.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance.

2. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I had a problem where I could save stuff to the desktop but i could not see it in the Finder. This page helped me out somewhat, maybe it will work for you.

http://www.aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/1936.html

I basically had to get rid of the permission that was making ~/Desktop hidden.

3. petercw2 thread starter macrumors member

See, your's is the exact opposite of mine. In fact I just realized that if I try and move a file to the desktop, I get an error that tells me that "File 'x' cannot be moved because the desktop cannot be modified."..

hmm?

4. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I would still the webpage above to make sure the desktop is not hidden and also I would check to make sure you have read and write permissions to the folder.