Filesharing on network... super sloooooow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by super_kev, Sep 5, 2005.

1. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I'm at a campus network, and we have a inner network that everybody uses to share files. They (PCs) can grab files super fast, yet I'm stuck here on my Mac (G5, 10.4.2) and connecting to a ip address here on campus (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx that turns into afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) is impossible, and when using the smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx format, it's super slow. For example, I grabbed some files just to see how long it would take to download. So far, a 1.5GB movie take about 10 hours, while my suitemates (PCs) can grab the same file in a matter of minutes.

What's up with this and why is my G5 so slow?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. super_kev thread starter macrumors 6502

super_kev

No.

Even wireless would be faster. I'm serious.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

1. Have you turned on either a firewall from the System Preferences (under Sharing)?

2. Once again in the System Preferences, what services have you got turned on, once again in the Sharing section?

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

1) B network?

2) your mac is probably downloading it using your internet connection, and havn't configured it to use your lan...

Try apple+K, then browse for his computer.

6. super_kev thread starter macrumors 6502

super_kev

That's how I do it and how I was trying to tell you guys. I use connect to server (Apple K) and enter the ip address.

B network? You mean 802.11B? I'm not on wireless, and neither is anyone else that I'm connecting to.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say...

I've been using macs for years (since the Mac Plus), and I'm 99% sure it's not my computer. No firewalls are turned on, no sharing, everything is fine on my end and connecting to other Macs is fast. It's the PCs that are the problem. I've heard of problems connecting to Windows boxes, but I didn't think that people had to deal with stuff this slow...

7. belvdr macrumors 601

I believe you may have a configuration issue with your network link. Specifically, set your NIC to 100 Mbps and Full duplex. Your autonegotiation may have only linked at 100/half and that will cause a severe slowdown.

I'd also disable IPv6, but that's just me being picky. I figure the less junk in the IP stack, the better.

8. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

I have a file server at home (WinXP) that I connect to from my mac using smb (usually wireless but I use a cable for big transfers) all the time and it is really fast. I don't think you have a problem for having a mac, it must be a configutarion error. I transfer 20Gb of music (the ipod collection) up and down quite often, haven't checked the time but it is very reasonable, it in in the minutes and not in the hours range.

did you check with a new network cable? did you check using your mac from another room?