Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
I'm curious as to whether anyone has seen (or done) benchmarks on FileVault 2 performance on platter-based HDDs. The SSD-based scores in the AnandTech review show a ~25% drop in throughput, but I'm thinking the slower speed of a hard drive might push the bottleneck somewhere else and result in a different performance profile.

Anyone?

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Funny I stumbled onto this. I also read the reviews and kept wondering why was FileVault only tested on an SSD? :confused:

I'm setting up a small 100GB FV partition as I write this. 2 hours into a 4 hour encryption cycle. Thought I'd see for myself on a 5400rpm drive.

quangdiggity

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2006
Columbus, OH
Google's first hit:

If you are a SSD user, the loss in performance will probably be much more noticeable in day-to-day usage. This is because SSDs outperform spinning disks by tens of times in random read tasks, which in turn places a heavier burden on your CPU to decrypt greater rates of data.

http://maxcho.com/2011/07/filevault-2-benchmarks/

Clearly, the right answer is that it depends on the relative speeds of your storage and CPU. An SSD is fast enough that you may have to wait for the CPU. If your HDD is slow enough you might not have to wait for the CPU.

Last edited:

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Funny I stumbled onto this. I also read the reviews and kept wondering why was FileVault only tested on an SSD? :confused:

Because spinning rust drives are too slow to be impacted by this. Current CPUs (the only thing Lion will run on) are capable of encrypting in excess of 100MB/sec of data. No current magnetic drive can keep up with the CPUs.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Because spinning rust drives are too slow to be impacted by this. Current CPUs (the only thing Lion will run on) are capable of encrypting in excess of 100MB/sec of data. No current magnetic drive can keep up with the CPUs.

Excellent explanation. Thanks.

Explains why my freshly FileVaulted partition performs well. (5400 rpm drive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.