FileVault backup question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by PCrefugee, Dec 11, 2004.

1. PCrefugee macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2004
    I'm a MAC newbie. The friend who converted me suggested I activate File Vault. So far no probs as long as I don't let it "clean up" "unused" files when I shut down ... but I do wonder if anyone knows ...

I backup frequently by hooking up an old hard drive, reformatting it and then dragging my entire desktop onto it. Does anyone know if the backup copy is also encrypted?

In other words ... if I'm dutifully backing up, and then one day in a coffeehouse somebody absconds with my laptop and all I have is the backup copy of my data ... will I be able to read it with another G4 or G5?

2. advres Guest

Oct 3, 2003
    Read THIS and turn file vault off now!

You have been warned.
  3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I've had filevault off and on for a while now. Encryption sometimes has problems, with the latest fixes, it should be just fine.

That copy you have on the external hard drive is NOT secure.

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    File Vault

Speaking of File Vault, I stopped the File Vault process after starting it because the timer showed it may take too much time. Does it cause any file corruption if you stop the file vault process after starting it for 5 to 10 minutes?