FileVault Help pls

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yaja123, May 2, 2005.

1. Yaja123 macrumors regular

I turned on filevault a week ago.

now, almost everytime i shut the mac down i get a message saying something along the times of "filevault is using more space than required.... do u want to correct this" then option of ok or cancel.... something like this. i say ok and it sort-itself out and shuts down fine.

is there anyway of avoiding this or doing it as automatic? otherwise it wont shut down before i acknowledge the question....pretty dumb.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

God I hate FileVault. This is just one of the reasons to hate it - anyone know if it's improved/eliminated in Tiger, by the way?

Anyway, I don't think there's a way to get around it. Everytime you make mods to your encrypted home folder, especially if they're large (add or remove large files or large numbers of files) the system tries to make sure the encrypted area of the drive is optimized. I'm sure there's a better technical explanation, but I don't know it.

I still think the best way to protect data from prying eyes is to use Disk Utility to create a password-protected disk image. You can mount that image as you need files, and eject it when you're done. Nice.

Keep in mind that to remove FileVault you need to have free space on your drive equivalent to the size of your home folder, since the system will copy the data out of the encrypted space and then remove the FileVault protection.

3. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

im using tiger, so no improvement.

ill turn it off if it continues to do it.

i only turned it on because i took the powerbook to apple store to install extra ram. just being extra cautious.

ill have to switch it off i guess. unless they add a preference todo it automatically. or leave the pb on forever!