Filevault meets Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fatkitty, Apr 2, 2006.

1. fatkitty macrumors newbie

I had the unfortunate poor luck of a sudden corrupted hard drive, causing a Kernal Panic immediately as the log-in screen appeared. Disk Utility etc. failed me.

I purchased a new HDD, installed the latest OS X again, and have recovered most of my files from the old HDD.

The twist is that I was using Filevault on my original drive, meaning I cannot recover anything in my user home folder. It does not even appear unless you boot up from that same HDD (which I still cannot do, of course -- Kernal Panic reappears).

Any ideas? Perhaps my next step is Disk Warrior on the old drive.

2. fatkitty thread starter macrumors newbie

Any thouhts on this?

Not quite sure where to go with this... has anyone tried moving a File Vault volume onto another drive to use as the access (start-up) drive?

Or any other thoughts on how to get out of this mess and access my data?

Thank you.

3. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I believe file vault function is to stop file retrieval in cases like this (assuming you were some mysterious crook).

:\

If you can get it back, it'll be relatively tough I'm thinking.

EDIT: Bing, bang, boom. 1000th post.

4. fatkitty thread starter macrumors newbie

You are probably right. But I do know the File Vault password, so one would think it should let me if I could somehow move this file into the home folder of my new HD.

Or, I may have to somehow resolve the kernel panic. Any ideas on how to do that? I would imagine I need software that rebuilds my directory.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Did you try reinstalling OS X on the old hard drive? Don't do a clean install, but an archive and install or a upgrade install might fix the system and get you up and running again.

6. fatkitty thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did try reiinstalling the OS, using archive and re-install, but it failed. I wonder if fsck would help... I still think I may need 3rd party software to rebuild the directory.