Fill in the blanks: Paypal can _____ my ______

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Oct 3, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This was an intangible good....a software license. Thus, no shipping info or anything. I think I'm screwed because intangible goods are not offered seller protection; but they're not offered seller protection either. And frankly, I can't readily afford $100 to give these ****ing worthless crooks. So.....am I screwed? I have to wait up to 5 days for them to complete their "investigation". ****ing ********. I thought my day couldn't get any worse once my PowerBook broke, then I come home to this in my inbox.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I agree. now that I think about it, I better transfer the money I have in my paypal account into my checking account just in case.

3. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Yeah they did me the same way.

I hate them. Sellers have no protection.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yeah, PayPal sucks. Sorry for your misfortune.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

So its pretty clear I'm going to be screwed, but I came up with an idea....eventually, Paypal is going to take the money from my bank account, right? When that happens, what if I call up my bank (US Bank) and tell them that the removal money from my account was not authorized by me, which, of course, it wouldn't be. Anyone think that would work?

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

better yet, could you just close the account. You'd have the money for sure then. If closing the account is not possible, just call the bank, tell them to watch for it, and that you specifically do not authorize this to happen.

8. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

I agree Paypal sucks arse big time. If you google "Paypal sucks" you get 1,840,000 results, I think that says something.

Then again "Apple sucks" returns 10,500,000, and we all know that's not true.

9. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

10. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I just closed my PayPal account yesterday, cause I had that kind of thing happen to me one too many times. The worst is overseas sales on eBay, or anything like that, since if you don't mail things by Global Priority Mail, you have no tracking - so PayPal can take your money.

It's a sh*tty situation to be in, I feel your pain, man.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I would recommend withdrawing all of your paypal balance and then removing the bank account information paypal has. Otherwise there's probably some technical stipulation saying you allowed it by giving them your account number.

13. sethypoo macrumors 68000

So, call me slow, but I don't quite understand what happened here. What did PayPal do? Are they going to take $100 out of your account?

Were you the buyer or seller? Did somebody rip you off? Or did PayPal rip you off?

14. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Once they put a hold on the funds, they already have the money. Its pretty much too late at that point.

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

1. Lick.
    2. ***.

Paypal is complete and utter cow dongo.

I've gotten burned so many times when I sold stuff. They then sat there and closed out my account and everything, took all the money I had in it, and kept it for themselves. Greedy asses.

I got em back though with that Class Action Lawsuit that happened a few years back. Got my money in a few months ago. Bought a lot of groceries. :D

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The 2 biggest problems with the internet are (in reverse order)

Number 2: eBay

Number 1: PayPal

Heres a tip. Dont use either of them as they are full of pirates. I have found you cant actually delete a paypal account once it is opened so I have changed all my details to gibberish as not to have it hacked (again).

EDIT: Oh i forgot.

PayPal can 'chocolate' my 'giraffe'.

I hope its right Im not very good at quizes.

17. deebster macrumors 6502

PayPal suspended my account for checking it from within an 'unauthorised' country and would not allow me to withdraw the funds for weeks.

Then one day they emailed me saying something suggesting I could withdraw the funds, which I quickly did.

The next day they re-suspended my account because I had withdrawn the funds, then wrote to me saying the balance in my account of -£0.01 (how that happened I do not know as I only withdrew the money that was in there, leaving a zero balance) had been converted into US dollars and I now owe them $27.

They are crooks.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

I always use my checking credit card (VISA), which deducts money from my savings (money I don't immediately need) or I immediately transfer and deposit the money into my savings if I am getting money. I carry a 0 balance on PayPal always.

I had an issue once, sent Bank of America after PayPal, and four days later the "fraudulent" money I was sent was reinstated on my PayPal account.

It's gonna get worse. I only do PayPal with people I know or someone with an awesome eBay (50+) feedback.

There is no way I would ever buy or sell a computer on eBay using PayPal.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm with this guy. Why are they taking $100. If you were the seller where is the buyer? You know, you can call paypal too? It's actually easier than I thought.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

After the pain to get money back for some faulty RAM, I agree with you.

Though as the buyer you did have to jump through lots of hoops to get the money back from Paypal, if you co-operate (as the seller) you should be OK, also if you have proof of postage for international shipping (and have given a disclaimer of postage loss on your auction, surely you should be fine?), when buying always pay by credit card as that means you can call your bank and get the payment cancelled if the deal goes bad (it's also a great threat when on the phone to Paypal).

21. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

PAYPAL BLOWS!
    And I got one of those same messages sent to me one time but I didn't have time to even deal with it so I figured if it was that important someone would contact me.

Also I have come to realize that if I send a bill to someone through PayPal, it takes longer to get the money compared to sending the damn check through the mail. WTF is up with having to approve the money going INTO the account. ****ing ridiculous!

22. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

1. Leggo
    2. Eggo?

Seriously though, I don't trust paypal. For e-commerce to work smoothly, you've got to have some reassurance that either (a) you'll get your goods as a buyer after paying, or (b) you'll get your money after selling. When the majority of transactions (from peer sellers, not from reputable companies) have to go through PayPal, and when PayPal is a crappy company... it's something that sucks terribly but you'll probably have to live with it as there are few alternatives.

23. eb6 macrumors regular

You win! Thats hilarious.:D

24. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

That's really unfortunate....

I can't relate, however. I have never used paypal for selling purposes. About a year ago I purchased an item off ebay and didn't receive it. Within a week of me contacting paypal about it, they had the money credited back to my account. So that was pretty helpful.

Maybe it's an issue that you should contact the buyer about... perhaps it's a misunderstanding. I should add, as well, that before I approached paypal about being reimbursed I spent a couple of weeks trying to resolve this issue with the seller, but to no avail.