Filming in the cold?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sharewaredemon, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Hi,

I have a Sony VX2100 which I got a few months ago and I was wondering what I should know about filming in the cold.

I know the cold is bad for batteries, and so I would be using the stock battery that came with the camera instead of the NP F950...

anything else to be concerned with?

2. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Filming in the cold is not so bad for the batteries, they just don´t hold their charge as long in the cold. So keep spare batteries warm (close to your body is the easy way).

Try to make sure the tapes and the camera is the same temprature.

You will have trouble with the camera if you take it inside to a warm place, you´ll get condens on the lens.

If you are only going inside for lunch, and will continue to shoot outside, leave the camera in a cold place to avoid problems with condens /fogging on the lens).
    If you get that and go outside again, it can turn to ice and you´ll have to wait for it to warm up.

Bring a long a hairdryer just in case (if you are close to electricity) so you can dry off your camera.

If you are shooting in high alltitude, bring a UV filter for the lens

I always use thin fleece gloves with wind-stopper material to keep my hands warm. Then you acn still operate with your gloves on to protect your hands

Good luck

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

just be worried about the batteries and the condensation thing

4. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Cold? What is this thing called "cold"?

/Florida.
    //74 degrees.

:p

5. NTJetboater macrumors member

Cold

We were out filming this weekend in this weather..was just fine. Make sure you have 4 or 5 batteries if you plan on being outside for half the day.