Filmmaking Thread?

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, Oct 26, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Just an idea--I notice a lot of video/filmmaking threads (many from me :D)--and I think a video section would be a good place to put them, along with posts on iMovie, Final Cut, and just general movie threads. What do you think?

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I would like to know how to balance shots, with the white balance, f stop, type of lighting, post filters. I see a lot of really cool effects being done in commercials, but I do not know how they are achieved. Any tips?

3. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

What I meant by this was--a forum section for filmmaking threads--not to use this thread for filmmaking questions :). I'm asking if a mod could setup a section for filmmaking thread.

However, while I'm posting--white balance differs on every camera. What model do you have?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not really a dedicated "filmmaking" forum, but I think a video forum would be a good idea. Just look at all the threads asking about making DVDs (analog/digital converters), or buying cameras, or which software to buy (FCE or FCP or stick w/iMovie).

Lethal

5. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

While I think it's a good idea to start a section on MacRumors devoted to digital filmmaking, there is SOOOOOO much information on that subject, that it might be too big. Everything from camera settings, types of cassettes, microphones, filters, lens attachments... not to mention editing, color correction, creating a "film look"... So many topics, that I wouldn't even know how to organize it all.

While you're waiting for this new section to appear (don't hold your breath!), you may want to check out www.dvinfo.net and go to the Community link on the left side. It's an excellent forum for video and digital film production, and covers everything and anything you can possibly imagine within the field.

6. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

GL2. I can control white balance, its just all the things combines that create these shots i don't know. (I do know how to get a film feel from video, if anyone wants help)

7. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I used the wrong word--I meant exactly what you said :)

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't think we'd need to get that detailed. But a general "Macs & Video" forum to help people who just want to shoot home movies, record TV onto their Mac, or move their current VHS home movie collection onto DVD would be worthwhile, IMO. If you search for things like these there's probably at least 2-3 threads per week. I think having all that info (including a basic FAQ) would be very helpful. Video to non-video people can be very confusing.

Lethal