Films/CD's You HAVEN'T Been Able To Copy?

Discussion in 'Community' started by andym172, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andym172 macrumors 6502

I have a problem with film DVD's - if I see them in a shop I HAVE to buy at least one. More if there happens to be a sale on.

With each of my DVD's I'll usually make a backup copy - these are the DVD's I take with me when I'm on the road, and the ones I really don't mind if I lose (common occurrence!).

Not once, in my DVD collection of 150+, have I come across a DVD that I haven't been able to copy on my Mac. I was assured by a friend of mine (Windows user) that I wouldn't be able to copy the film 'The Day After Tomorrow', so today I went out and bought it (along with Dogville and Training Day).

I'm currently sitting here with MacTheRipper quite happily speeding its way through it. No problems at all!
    I haven't told my friend yet, but I know his reaction when I tell him ( :eek: ).

So, have any of you come across any films or music CD's that you've not been able to copy?

2. GanChan macrumors 6502

Roy Orbison, "Mystery Girl." iTunes won't make an mp3 backup copy for me. I have copied it successfully in the past with a freeware MPEG encoder, so maybe it's an iTunes issue. The disc itself in an old BMG Club pressing from around 1991, so you wouldn't expect it to have copy protection on it. But maybe the title itself has been "software copy-protected" by BMG so that iTunes refuses to copy it once it reads the title information. :confused:

3. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I wasn't able to rip my Velvet Revolver CD...that kinda peeved me a bit

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I had no problem with mine, in fact I haven't had a problem ripping any of my CD's.

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Wavetwisters DVD - I let around 5 friends of mine borrow it and didn't have it for a year....when I got it back it was a little worn but still worked. When I tried to back it up I could not.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've got no problem getting MP3s from CDs, except for the occasional lack of people seeding the torrent ;)

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Pretty much every Pixar flick won't work in Mac the Ripper, hmmm I wonder why? :rolleyes:

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I've seen some of the newer DVDs where they intentionally throw in bits of corrupted data to trip up DVD rippers. One example is ArcCos, but I believe MactheRipper is capable of handling that copy protection scheme. Another would be how its authored. There are tricks like using 1-GOP frame VOB assets. I've seen it used in some commercial DVDs.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How dare they try to cheat the hard working cheaters who are trying to rip off the industry. :rolleyes: :p

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The only thing is DVD-Audio.

All DVDs have a way. And CDs are all able to be copied.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The only dvd I haven't been able to back up is resident evil part two. Neither mactheripper or dvdbackup worked. By the way I can't stand mactheripper it doesn't compare with dvdbackup.

12. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Hidden tracks on audio CDs

The only problems I've had backing up my audio CDs is with some forms of "hidden tracks" -- like Cosmicity's "In Perspective" (1997) has 4 tracks "hidden" before track 1. I can rip everything but those 4 tracks, even when trying to grab by sector numbers. It also means I can't get those 4 tracks into iTunes or put them on an iPod, etc.

13. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Never had a problem with any CD or DVD. Never tried a Pixar film though, maybe I should back up my "Incredibles" just to find out.

14. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

My 2 cents

Very simple if it has one of the ropey copy protection systems written on the back of it , the CD/DVD does not get brought to the check out and is put back down again. The "industry" will soon get the message

I learned the hard way when a couple of them with BMG protection would not play in my car stereo.

Music industry should get a class action lawsuit taken against it for

1. Having CD Audio or DVD Video stamped on it when its NOT , in reality it should say something that MIGHT if you are lucky act like a CD Audio / DVD Video

2. trying to install software on your computer without your permission ort knowledge.

I see most new CD's at any rate over here dont have copy protection now as the various systems were so poor, problems with MAC's , car stereos ect.

15. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

I couldn't backup Resident Evil 2 either. I prefer DVD Backup too, but some DVD's have RCE which is detected by mactheripper and not DVD Backup. With RCE you need to leave the original Region Code intact (not convert to region-free like I usually do with DVD Backup).

16. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Layer Cake and Hitch both wouldn't copy for me. They are both red disks too.

17. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Never had a problem with any dvd and around the holidays a backup is a must around kids. I don't care what adult says they will take turns watching so the kids don't fling them across the room it always seems to happen and nobody knows who did it :rolleyes:

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just out of curiosity but why are you trying to backup Hitch in the first place? :eek:

19. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

the forgotten

there was one other, i cannot remember

20. Zachariah macrumors member

the shift key is your friend

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That's for tricking the autorun on Windows. Doesn't do anything on Macs...

22. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

...until you remembered that it was a Velvet Revolver CD! Then you actually thanked iTunes for saving you the hard drive space for something more valuable, like the new David Hasselhoff album.

(sorry... couldn't help myself ;))

23. Zachariah macrumors member

it talks about Macs on that page, too

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, but holding down shift does nothing. iTunes have happily imported every CD I've ever fed it (except a couple of VERY scratched ones, but that's another story) without any tricks needed.

Holding down the Shift key when mounting a CD is a trick to avoid Windows to auto-run whatever is on it (like the "malware" program that installs itself on your computer from these so-called CDs to force your computer to play some lossy versions of the songs and not be able to access the original aiffs/wavs).

Those auto-run procedures has not worked on Macs for a very long time. (I remember having to disable the option under a very early version of QuickTime under OS 8(?) just to be safe, but have not had to worry about is since.)

So even if "that page" talks about Macs doesn't mean anything, really... ;)

25. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

The animal with Rob shneider, and the bitch of it is i lent it out and had it lost on me :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.