Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Hmm...

I'm not sure how to make a film "strip", but there's a way to impersonate it.
You could download some sort of film strip and overlay it but I've never tried that.

Open up your color corrector, and keyframe the video going from normal, to super bright, it should happen within about 5 frames.

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
If I remember correctly, Adobe After Effects has a "film burn" effect. Not sure if you have access to that expensive little piece of software though.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
FF_productions said:
Open up your color corrector, and keyframe the video going from normal, to super bright, it should happen within about 5 frames.
That's a good start, but there's much more going on in an actual film burn. In conjunction with the 5-frame brightness keyframe, I'd also add some orange/yellow with the color corrector. Also, use the three-way color corrector to make the blacks orange/reddish. And make the adjustments as random as you can, keeping in mind that it's a quick progression of flashes and colors, which build up to a full wash out of the image. Aside from that, there's not much else i can say. Except that you should look into Magic Bullet, it would be good as it adds flicker, dust, wear, and film gran to video and looks really good.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Film burns are very popular in skateboard videos, and many many amature skateboard film makers try to emulate film burns.

Unfortunately I think that the ones done in professional videos are either taken from actually burnt 16 mm film, or they have purchased stock footage

such as this, or this the second link links to several good examples.

Unfortunately, 500 USD is way out of my price range for something like a film burn.

One way people have achieve film burns in a similar way is to film a candle in a dark room and film it while zoomed in a good amount.

You could try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.