Final Boot Camp To Be Offered To Tiger Users For $30?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 21, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MacScoop claims to have uncovered a report that indicates Apple may offer the final version of its popular Boot Camp software for users of Mac OS 10.4 "Tiger" for $29.99 upon its release when Leopard ships.

Boot Camp, currently in public beta, allows Intel Mac owners to boot their machine into Microsoft Windows XP. The terms of the public beta expire upon the next release of the software or September 30, 2007, whichever comes first.

If true, the move would be reminiscent of Apple deciding to offer iChat AV for Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar users for a $29.99 upgrade fee after a public beta, whereas users upgrading to Mac OS 10.3 Panther received the software included in the OS. Boot Camp will be included with Mac OS 10.5 Leopard.

2. macrumors regular

Buy Leopard!

3. macrumors 6502

Will you be able to use Vista with Boot Camp?

4. macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I see this as neither good nor bad but I don't see why owners of Intel Macs *wouldn't* want to upgrade to 10.5...

5. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I don't really like this whole thing that Apple's doing...

Apple giveth (draft-N, BootCamp), and then Apple taketh away ($1.99 charge, $30 charge).

6. macrumors 601

DMann

Leopard

An incentive for 10.5 for sure.

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think you can compare. Boot Camp as released was ALWAYS a public beta. It was never offered with the indication that it would be a permanently free program.

Although...given what it does, what really prevents you from just continuing to use the Beta? Once you have Windows installed, BootCamp isn't doing anything for you any longer.

Hopefully, though, the final release will come with a complete set of drivers for any Apple hardware that is not natively supported in Vista (and also provide them as Vista 32 and 64 bit binaries to the extent that this is necessary).

8. Guest

ppc_michael

When I first read this, I was thinking it was saying Apple would charge for Bootcamp, period. Like, any OS release.

But now I see they would be charging for 10.4 but not 10.5. And I think that's semi-reasonable.

9. macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's my plan :)

10. Editor emeritus

longofest

We're expecting that to be the case, but nothing positive yet that I know of.

11. macrumors 68020

bobber205

30 dollars is very reasonable. Especially if it supports all kinds of winblows, including Vista.

12. Editor emeritus

longofest

The "N" thing is really totally different in my view. This more lines up with previous practices, and makes more sense with what the industry does as a whole. You may put out a beta and get people hooked, and then charge for the final release. That's okay.

The N thing is different because they are kinda nickle-and-diming you, and they had already put the darn hardware in the system, so it really SHOULD be included in the software. Verizon got in trouble for this kind of situation with their V710 phones from Motorola, where they crippled a fully-funcitonal bluetooth phone. Yes, it had its differences, but it was similar in some respects.

13. macrumors 6502a

If BootCamp allowed the use of a BT keyboard then I'd buy it. But it doesn't. So bleh.

14. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't remember that anybody could use the draft-N card before they paid the fee, and BootCamp wasn't ever said that it would always be free.

15. macrumors G4

Small White Car

First of all, Apple NEVER "gaveth" draft-n. No one had it before they charged for it. So saying they took it away is nonsense.

And as for Boot Camp, it's no different than the 30-day free trial of Aperture. The only difference is the free-trial lasted a year instead of a month.

You're telling me that you're REALLY going to complain about getting a year-long free trial of a piece of software? That seems pretty ungrateful to me. You would have been happier if you had to pay from day 1? Why??

16. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My impression is that lots of people have installed with a BT kb, even though it isn't officially supported?

17. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Believe me you don't want to, it's totall garbage I ran it for a day and found it very annoying with all the warnings ect. It doesn't justify me spending $300 on it. Not to mention the DRM BS with it, if Apple put that into Leopard(whcih I have a fear of) I won't be upgrading and keeping tiger.

It's good they are offering this though :)

18. macrumors G4

Small White Car

They're worried they'll get in trouble with the government if they give it away for free. I don't think anyone really knows if that's true or not, but it's POSSIBLE, so they're just playing it safe. I don't blame them for that.

Congress really needs to get off it's ass and clarify this situation, though...giving this away for free ISN'T what they were trying to stop with recent laws they passed, but it's getting caught up in it since there's no exemption for it specifically listed in the law.

19. macrumors 68020

EagerDragon

Does not sound marketable

There will be a lot in Leopard to cause people to upgrade, as such the market for 10.4.x that want to do bootcamp and not upgrade to Leopard IMHO will be very small.

Sounds like a non-starter.

20. macrumors member

Therefore, I can imagine the Leopard Boot Camp being more then the current Beta. Perhaps the rumored Virtualisation bit is included as well, for instance.

21. macrumors 6502a

My Mac Pro only came with a BT keyboard, and I've been able to use it just fine... :confused:

22. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to buy Leopard for $69. I think I don't have to worry about this...

23. macrumors 68030

slughead

$30 for what?

I plan to upgrade to leopard anyway, but this is a bunch of crap!

Bootcamp is a cheap hack with NOTHING real to offer except a bootable PC and mac partition on the same hard drive.

If it didn't exist, a 3rd party would've come up with it.

What could the full version POSSIBLY offer?

24. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So, unless the final Boot Camp has new functionality, basically it'll be $30 for the re-partitioning tool and the drivers?

The firmware, which will ship with the new Macs is he thing that does the heavy lifting, and you can install Windows without Boot Camp Assistant.

A bit steeper than I'd like, since I bought Parallels for $49, but still good news for those who want BC but don't want Leopard for one reason or another.

B

25. macrumors newbie

unsaltedrhino

Yup, no problems with using Apple BT Keyboard and Mouse using the latest Bootcamp Windows drivers...