Final boss time!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

well, if you didn't know already I've been working on a 2D platformer since Spring this year. Its nothing revolutionary just a real simple fun platformer, based around Turrican and Jet Force Gemini.
    Its ALMOST done. i'm just working on the final boss now. now here it goes so far;

You get to the moon base, play through 10 levels, fight the boss in a huge docking station running battle, then fight as you fall towards earth... then you have the 3rd and final battle which should be insanely rock solid. only problem is I don't have any ideas at all. Call it christmas excitement or worrying over coursework, but I just cant come up with a unique and challenging boss idea.

Any ideas?

It really could be anything, so long as its 2D. or faux 3D like the boss in Yoshis Island. you'll get a mention in the credits ;) the game will be freeware but published in a number of (mainly european) magazines.

2. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

A big Hamster.... ok that was a joke, but maybe if you have the Hamster breath fire then that would be one scary beast..... if you are offended by my unhelpful idea then I'm sorry and ignore this post

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

A giant spoon. One that bends.

Dude, don't think. Just do it.

4. Golden_315 macrumors member

5. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Bwa ha ha

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I would have to say a Llama, or maybe even one of those nazi moon hitlers.

And congrats on the production of a game.

7. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Maybe something that looked like a rubix cube (without the crayola color scheme), that would spin and shift at different sections and the individual cubes would open and release different types of attacks. But when they open it could make it vunerable, i.e. cue your chance to attack? It could be the "evil brain" behind it all. Not great, but I got nothing else.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think that's a pretty good Idea, especially since it can be implemented in phases (or at least 2 phases). In the first phase it could just be minimal attacks and maybe a lot of dodging. Then secondly, it could move faster and have more powerful attacks. After the second phase, the cube (shield) would be destroyed and reveal the inner core, which has the most powerful attacks, but moves rather slowly.

That or you could have a giant taco that craps ice cream. :D

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

Here's a serious suggestion:

Since you fall to earth fighting the second boss, when you kill him have him him hit the ground and make a big crater while the player hovers above ground or something, and then the boss is all exploded into a ton of pieces. Have the pieces like come back together into some last-ditch effort at evil incarnate and fight in the crater. Since it's 2d, there can be some platforms to jump on in the crater, of course. Have him land near water, however, and the crater is slowly filling with water that spills over at some slow rate. The real way to beat the final boss is to survive until the water rises enough to drown him. The player just has to stay above water level otherwise the cold water makes his shrinky dink shrivel up and it's game over.

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I very much like that idea. All the bosses up until this one have all followed 1rule; shoot>lose health>repeat until death. so that would make a welcome change

:eek: :eek: get out my head! haha seriously man, thats already a boss! you run around a giant faux donut ring with lava in the middle whilst a giant hamster in an even bigger hamsterball chases after you. once more... :eek:

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I also like this idea, would make for a nice ending.

12. satans_banjo macrumors regular

i think more of todays' games should have a final boss. imagine how cool call of duty 2 would be if you battled hitler at the end of it - face to face. maybe played him at cards or russian roulette. that would make for a great ending

13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Wha? Like a Bond villian? :)

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Precisely! ;) :)

15. darkwing macrumors 65816

Yeah, I think so, too. Have the zombie boss hurling everything he can at you, while you jump around different platforms trying to avoid it and not fall in the water. Maybe to kill him, when the thing fills up with water, he can call for backup and have a bunch of liquid helium tanks dropped in it and then exploded from some air backup support so it freezes the whole thing, and then you take out a giant hammer and smash it to pieces.

Then some cute girl better come out and start making with the hanky-panky.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

or aside of water you can always use lava ... ;)

17. satans_banjo macrumors regular

yeah you crash so deep that magma starts creeping up from the bottom of the hole

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Its only fair you all get the nutshell storyline.

Basically Sam is a citizen of hell (or, cuz i'm aiming for this to be a gentle game; Red Lands).
    now... hell, earth and heaven are all on the same planet. its a sort of crazy dimensional thing. and word hits the far side of the Red Lands that an army is invading. this makes Sam think "oh hey I have nothing better to do" so he goes out on his quest to destroy the army and all that. The goal is to get to a moonstation that looks over the planet where the army is coming from. along the way he finds out that when alive he was a great warrior but greed took over him. hence his position in the Red Lands... [I've cut out about 90% of the game here ;) ]... He finds the big boss guy and fights him. The final battle will take place back in the Red Lands.

After each boss, or round abouts, you get a new item. Like Metroid or Castlevania which will help you progress further. and make for some good secret finds if you backtrack.

19. darkwing macrumors 65816

But won't the lava kill the guy before it reaches the top? It makes little sense that the boss is going to drown in lava if it doesn't hurt him. Though you could do it like lava doesn't hurt him, but once the hole fills up and you made it out, it hardens and he's trapped inside for all eternity. This leaves open the possibility of a sequel.

20. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Whatever you decide to do- make it unique.

I like bosses where you have to time and plan your attacks. Not bosses where you just do a lot of damage when they die- make a boss that has a weak point to aim for, and perhaps changes forms when he takes a lot of damage for a change of pace. Like the old Sonic bosses, that were always two- or three-part.

22. darkwing macrumors 65816

Maybe the final boss should be your boss in real life. A massive inside joke with you and your coworkers.

23. silentthunder77 macrumors member

you should make it be sephiroth, bowser, and the pillar of autumn so that it is impossible to win

24. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Oh yeah. And make it really, really hard. There is nothing more annoying than the anti-climactic ending of beating the last boss on your first try. It's supposed to be the pinnacle of difficulty in the game, so hard people say, "Geez, how is that even possible?"