Final Cut 4 on macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darwen, Aug 16, 2006.

1. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Well I just got my new macbook and was installing all the usual applications on it. I have a G5 for my video production suff but I decided to put Final Cut on this computer too, just to have it on here.

To my supprise it wont open. I have Final Cut 3 up and running but 4 will not start. It says "This sofware requires certian hardware or software which is missing. AGP graphics card."

I know the macbooks have integrated graphics but I thought they could run Final Cut on them. Am I missing an update here? I am a little shocked to be honest. Apple has said Apeture wont run on this machine yet people are claiming they are having sucess. Why is final cut giving me problems?

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Final cut 4 is not intel native and will not run at all with rosetta emulation. You will have to go out and get the new version that works will intel macs.

3. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

damn.

Why does final cut 3 work but not final cut 4? I would think the chances of final cut 4 being native are higher than final cut 3.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

At the time FCP 4 came out, there was no such thing as integrated graphics on any then-current Macintosh.

It probably has no idea where you graphics processing is to be done. FCP 5 is a must.

They're both not native.

FCP 4 introduced some more intensive real time crap that required a better video card... namely, an AGP one (at the time many people were still using PCI G3s and G4s). FCP 4 will not run on a Blue & White G3, for example, without hacks.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP 4 specifically looks for an AGP gfx card (FCP3 and below do not) which your MB does not have. Here is a way to change a text file so FCP 4 no longer looks for the AGP card. Of course this is might be a non-issuse as you are running an intel Mac. But the cross grade to the intel version of FC Studio is a steal so think of this a chance to get a 90% discount.

Lethal