Final Cut 4???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PaRaGoNViCtiM, Jul 10, 2005.

1. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I have Final Cut 4 and I'm trying to edit a movie DVD. Once the DVD is inserted, and I try to drag it into Final Cut, it says " Error". I need the clips to make videos. Can someone please help me???

2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Is this a commercial dvd or a dvd that you made yourself? Anyway, You're going to have to use a program to convert the video from VOB streams (which are mpeg2) into another format which Final Cut can read. You can use something like ffmpegx for that. If it is a commercial DVD you will need to extract the encrypted video from the disk using something like Mac The Ripper. If you need more direction than that, try searching for forums for this as there have been a lot of threads on the topic and you can probably find more information and suggestions there than I can give you. :)

3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

MPEG Streamclip is amazingly great for extracting DVD material. Look it up on versiontracker. I bought DVDxDV and find that MPEG Streamclip (free) is way better.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Have you gotten DVDxDV to work with DVDs running at 24fps? It think it creates a Quicktime file that contains temporal compression.

When I bring a QT clip created by DVDxDV into After Effects, it shows up as 19.98 fps. I cannot conform it in Cinema Tools either. If I bring it into FCP, FCP lists the QT video as running at 29.97, while in QT player, it shows it running at 24FPS. Very wierd.

5. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

I downloaded MPEG Streamclip, now how do I do it? (Forgive me, I'm new at all this)

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I've only used DVDxDV on 29.97 material. What you describe is weird. I'm pretty sure MPEG Streamclip would handle 23.98 stuff well.

I think you go to File - Open Stream or something, then select the VOB you want. MPEG Streamclip will give you the option of opening the entire stream (let's say it's multiple VOB files that make up one stream - instead of opening them one at a time, MPSC will string them all together). From there, you can demux the VOB into its component MPEG2 (m2v) video and AIFF/AC3 audio files or do a QuickTime conversion to the codec of your choice (although current reports are that direct H.264 export doesn't work yet at the moment). If you have 3 days on a PowerBook or 30 hours on a dual G5, you could first demux to m2v and aif, then open the m2v in QT Pro and export to H.264 from there. The MP4 export box now calculates the total resulting file size, which is nice because you can tailor the bitrate way more easily, in order to make the end result become a certain size (let's say to fit on one CD).

7. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

You must forgive me here..I don't understand. I do not have a DVD burner. What I'm trying to do is edit a commericial DVD. It's the L Word tv show on DVD. I have downloaded MPEG Streamclip, but when I use Streamclip, it tells says "Error, unknown files" or something like that. I also tried using a quicktime video clip I downloaded from the web, It's a whole bunch of clips with music. I want to change the music that is playing to something else. How would I go about doing that?
    I'm sorry I'm such a pain.
    Thanks,

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Like I said, if you've got a commercial DVD you need to use something like Mac The Ripper to decrypt the video from the DVD and put it on to your hard drive, then you can use the other applications.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

To summarize:
    (1) Mac the Ripper- with DVD inserted will decrypt the DVD and put on your HD in VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders (these will be the decoded VOB files.
    (2) StreamClip opened- then browse and select the VIDEO_TS folder you have on your HD. It will ask if you want to include all the VIDEO files it sees. Check yes, then in File Menu, you can choose which file formats (mpeg2-aif) and it will demux the VOB files and leave two mpeg2v and audio files.
    (3) These can be imported to FCPHD or whichever FCP you're using.
    X

10. Switzermac macrumors regular

11. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

$$$

13. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

To add to the other responses, the one thing I left out (having forgotten for a moment how new you are to this) is that you need the QuickTime MPEG component ($20, available at store.apple.com) installed for MPSC to do its thing. And of course you need QT Pro activated as well.

14. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I followed all these steps, and it's still saying "File Error: Wrong Type"
    In MPEG Streamclip, I tried converting it to MPEG 2 and Audio. Is that right? Why is this not working!!!!!!

15. live4ever macrumors 6502a

16. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried, and its telling me I need a MPEG2 component that's $20 for Quicktime, is this right? Is there any alternatives to it?

17. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Four posts up I said the same thing . . . there aren't any good, inexpensive, simple and user-friendly alternatives to it. For $20 it's well worth making your life easier. FWIW, the QT MPEG2 component is included with DVDSP 3 and 4 (as well as Production Suite and Final Cut Suite).

18. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

19. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

cool, I just replied. :)

20. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

You don't need to keep us informed of every communication you and Rod Rod have. :D :)

22. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. (lol)