Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gjg554

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Ok, I filmed the footage in 4:3 with 16:9 guidelines in a gl2. I applied a widescreen matte in final cut but its not giving me the true widescreen effect. It is not true 16:9 on 16:9 tvs, and it is not even properly letterboxed on square tv's. All i want is to be able to export it in 16:9 as if that is what i had used to capture it. For instance I want to render without the black bars. I do not want black bars viewable on a 16:9 tv because that is what is happening right now

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
If you wanted a "proper" 16x9 image (as opposed to a letterboxed 16x9 image in a 4x3 frame) you either needed to shoot w/an anamorphic adapter or switch the camera into "16x9" mode so it recorded a 16x9 image to tape. But shooting in the 16x9 mode produces a lower quality image 'cause you are only using a portion of your camera's imaging sensors.

You can crop a 4x3 image into a 16x9 aspect ratio, but it won't fill-up a 16x9 TV (it's still just a 4x3 image w/the top and bottom chopped off). If you want it to properly fit a 16x9 TV you're going to have to enlarge the image. And that's just going to look like pixilated crap.

Or you could take the 4x3 image and stretch it into a 16x9 image, but then everything is going to look short and fat.

I'm just writing this off the top of my head so I could be over looking something, but I think it's a pretty fair assessment of your situation.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.