Final Cut Express - best way to learn

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Westside guy, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I am just slightly familiar with digital video editing - in the past I played around with Pinnacle's software on a PC. I have a couple projects now where I'd like to use Final Cut Express (I have the older version 1). I have figured out the very very basics - basically getting a video in from a camera successfully, and then saving the project to disk. :D But I'd like to learn to really use this program well.

I know if I mess around with it, I will eventually figure it all out - but I was wondering if there are recommended tutorials, Web sites, etc. that you folks have found helpful in learning this program in a more systematic manner.

As a secondary question - is it worth upgrading to FCE 2? I got FCE 1 for next to nothing, so I'm not averse to spending $99 if it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks for your help!
  2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    I have alway found that the bet way to learn new software is to do a project with it. Make a short film / pop video / wedding video / etc...

Look on amazon and get a good book there are quite a few now, fce 1 game with a pdf manual.

I would wait until you have got the hang of v1 until you upgrade, spend the money on books or even a traning day.