Final Cut Express for Mactel?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fh2level, Feb 14, 2006.

1. fh2level macrumors regular

fh2level

Anyone know when Final Cut Express will be released with the Universal Binary or is "March" the best anyone knows?

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Unfortunately, the current shipping version of Final Cut Express HD will not be updated to Universal Binary.

The current list is at http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/.

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Has anyone succeeded in running FCE on an intel Mac? I really don't want to be stuck with iMovie for a whole month... or more... depending on how fast the credit cards recover from the shock I personally like to call MacBook.

4. RabidBear macrumors member

RabidBear

FCE working on an iMAC (Intel)

Yes. I don't have mine in front of me right now so this may be a little vague:
    There is a plist file that is associated with FCE HD I think it is in one of the library folders. You should be able to see it if you right click on the FCE icon and do a "Show contents" anyway find the plist file and open it in a text editor. Find the line that says "AGP" change it to "PCI" save it and launch away. I have burned a about an hours worth of video so far with no problems. Soundtrack and LiveType just work.

5. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

So its kind of like a mod? Cool, sounds simple enough. Thanks, Im trying to replicate it now...
    What is the speed like for rendering, layering clips, etc.?

Edit* Where exactly is the plist? I did a show package contents and I have two plists right away, more when I dive into the folders.

6. fh2level thread starter macrumors regular

fh2level

Yes please if you get a chance post more specific instructions and any problems that it might cause. I really really need something more powerful than iMovie but not to the extreme of Final Cut Pro (nor price :( )

7. RabidBear macrumors member

RabidBear

These are the instructions I used to get FCE HD working

1. Right click on the FCE icon and select "Show Package Contents".

2. Open the "Contents" folder and double click the "info .plist". It should open automatically in TextEdit - if it doesn't, choose TextEdit manually.

3. Around 15 or so lines down you will see AGP. Delete it and put in PCI. (I don't believe it was this many lines down).

4. Close the window and when asked if you want to save the changes, say yes.

(You might want to make a copy of the original info.plist and keep it safely somewhere else on your HD

As for rendering I don't have information on that. I haven't had a chance to test it out.

8. juble macrumors newbie

Does that work for FCP HD/FCP 5 or other "Pro Apps"? :confused:

9. emaneresu macrumors newbie

I had a problem with that today! i recieved my final cut express and then there was an unknown error. I called technical support and they said that final cut pro, studio, etc will be out by the end of march, but they dont know when a universal express will be coming out. how unfortunate..... :(

10. emaneresu macrumors newbie

tried it..... and it works!

I just changed the AGP to PCi and it worked! thanks alot rabidbear :) Keep us posted if the rendering works too (cause i havnt tried it yet):eek:

11. emaneresu macrumors newbie

rosetta problem?

FCE is working fine with my imac, but is it going to be a problem with rosetta?

12. mBox macrumors 68020

I will try FCHD tonite. Just got my Intel iMac 2GHz system :)

13. mBox macrumors 68020

I got FCP HD to work in a Intel 20" iMac using the plist edit.
    Livetype, Soundtrack Pro and DVD Studio works except for Motion :(
    Thanks for the tips people ;)