Final Cut Express HD Released As A Universal Binary

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 18, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple released Final Cut Express HD 3.5 this morning as a Universal Binary, making the program join with Final Cut Pro as running native on Intel processors. The new software is available as either a $299 standalone product, or a $99 upgrade.

2. macrumors member

thanks apple, even though i don't have intel, but when i do get it, this will be a program i will actually use.

3. macrumors 65816

japanime

4. macrumors 6502

Great news! Seems like Apple's apps are almost all universal binary now. :)

5. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

So if the video requirements are still just Quartz Extreme will it run on the GMA950 powered Macs?

6. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Glad to see more universal apps! Dying to see the mac pro's and the performance in store with all the native apps.

7. macrumors member

MacRumorsReader

I have always referred to FCE as Final Cut for Everyone else.

So, I'm a-thinking this will work on all the intel macs.

8. macrumors regular

Gma 950?

From Apples Final Cut Express Tech Specs:

Does this mean it won't run on a Mac Mini or MacBook?

(oh Lollypop beat me too it)

9. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well if it'll run on a Radeon 7500 and a GeForce 2 then I expect the GMA 950 to be able to run it. I just can't confirm it 100%. :rolleyes:

10. macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

I've been seriously thinking about picking FCE this weekend, but was kind of worried about a new version coming relatively soon.... this would seem to put that out of the question, would many agree?

11. macrumors newbie

What is the biggest differences between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro? I understand that FCP is aimed more towards pro users, but what cant fce do that fcp can to differiate them from each other. Thanks.

12. macrumors 601

stoid

Well, I don't think that there will be a new version until FCP 6 comes out since FCE 3.5 is based on the FCP 5 architechture.

The question I have is if the Soundtrack and LiveType that come with FCE HD are the full versions or if they also have features disabled, or not included.

13. macrumors 65816

corywoolf

They probably wont update it until FCS is updated, which will probably be sometime in the first half of next year, so go for it.

Soundtrack is not Soundtrack Pro (which I assume you knew), so they probably haven't crippled anything in it. I assume it's just the old soundtrack with minor updates made. Livetype is probably the same version which is shipping with FCS, since it is not that heavy duty of an app. Here's to Apple releasing Motion Express and Compressor with the next version of FCE. I think Apple should scrap Livetype and just have Motion & a Motion Express. They could build Livetype into Motion pretty easily.

14. macrumors G5

nagromme

I didn't even realize FC Express came with those bundled additional apps. Soundtrack is a huge value right there! (And all those loops work in GarageBand too.)

All I own is the pre-Pro Soundtrack, and it's still nice.

15. macrumors 68000

GMA950 supports Quartz Extreme and CoreImage, so it should work fine.

16. macrumors 6502a

ImAlwaysRight

Awesome!

I just purchased a MacBook and have FCE 2.0.3, so if I can upgrade for $99, not a bad deal to get it Intel native. Woo-hoo! Just about everything I use now is Intel native, except for Word, Entourage, PowerPoint, and the newly released Elements 4.0. Microsoft isn't just behind the times with their OS, but apparently with everything. :eek:

17. macrumors 65816

yoak

Been waiting for this, strange thing is that the Norway store still has the old version listed, NOT 3.5:confused:

18. macrumors newbie

19. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

UK store still not updated :(

Keyframable effects :)

20. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Timing Is Perfect For MacBook & Final Cut Express Marriage

I just wrote a post yesterday telling someone who asked that FCE was NOT Universal and here we get it the next day. Way to go Apple. I am sure it will ALL work great on a MacBook too. :p Fantastic news. $99 upgrade is really fair.

21. macrumors 65816

yoak

Is it at the same price-point as before in the US?

22. macrumors newbie

Funny you would say that 99 is fair - wasn't the upgrade for FCPro only 50? Seems a bit unfair to me...

23. macrumors 603

Multimedia

One of the biggest differences is that it only supports DV and HDV video IE none of the high end professional video types. So no biggie. :)

No that was only for the crossgrade to Universal from Final Cut Studio. Upgrades from Final Cut Pro 4/4.5 and components of Studio are $99. This is a NEW VERSION 3.5 of FCE HD - not only Universal crossgrade but an UPGRADE TOO from ANY Version 1, 2, or 3 of Final Cut Express which makes it an amazing deal. :)

"Final Cut Express HD 3.5, LiveType 2, and Soundtrack 1.5 run natively on both PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macintosh computers, and you can take advantage of the extraordinary performance offered by the latter to put your video editing into high gear."

Here is the new Final Cut Express HD Page At Apple.

24. macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/au/finalcut/
    Here's a point by point comparison of the 3 video editing apps.

25. macrumors G4

Yes, this is simply the new version of FCE which also happens to be universal.

Two thinks have kept me from buying an Intel Mac: FCP and Photoshop. Now I only have one reason to wait. When Adobe come out with a universal PS then it's time. Maybe be then Apple wil havethe Intel Power Macs shipping?