Final Cut Express Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carbonmotion, Jan 29, 2004.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi guys,
    I am currently in a middle of this indie film and I need some FCE help. Ok before going further, I'm assuming you, the reader, understands alot about digital editing... if not then well, i dont want to waste your time... Ok, here's the deal. I want to make my DV footage look more like Film color wise... Any advice on how to go about doing that?
  2. mobility3 macrumors member

Oct 30, 2003
    age old debate...

I'm not a pro mind you but I've worked w/Final Cut for a few years...

two things I've found to reduce the "video look"
    - de-interlace
    - Stop Motion Blur, set the Time Lapse to 1 and the Steps to 2 leave the rest default (this is in FCP and I think FCE)

to get a "film look" you can also try some "film look" filters but in reality it's basically impossible to get close to film with standard DV (in my humble opinion). DVC Pro50 cams and that snazzy Panasonic 24P cam are getting there.

take this for what its worth. better to check the pro video message boards out there.
  3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    Get the joes filters, specifically the ones that change frame rate from 30fps to 24fps and the film grain one. These added with deinterlace will make it look more like film.

IMHO, I would just leave it alone, it is really easy to tell if something is shot on film or shot on DV and made to look like film. You can't get the same depth of field and DV cameras focus differently then film cameras. It will be impossible to get the DV footage to look like film. DV and film are totally different formats, so don't be ashamed to show a project in DV, especially if that's all your budgeted for. I don't know that's just me, good luck with your project though.
  4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Sorry to hijack, but what are the joes filters, where do you get them from, and how much do they cost? I'm interested...
  5. mobility3 macrumors member

Oct 30, 2003
  6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    A trick I came across that looked relly good on a project took de-interlacing to a new level.

I'm pretty sure this is the process, if not, feel free to correct me.

Once you are totally done with the project, copy your video tracks and put them in two layers, layer 1 and 2 being identical.

Set the top layer to 50% opacity, render.

De interlace top and bottom layers. Tell the top layer to do odd fields, and the bottom to do evens. Render. This will take a looooooong time.

I did this about a year ago, so it might not be exactly right, but I'm pretty sure it's close. Of course, it's a good idea to back up, even export your project before you do something as major as that. Good Luck.
  7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you google "film look" you'll get a million and 1 hits. Making DV footage look more like film is one of the most, if not *the* most, asked Q's regarding DV filmmaking. And the "film look" proccess has to start in the production phase and continue into post. Lighting, filters, framing, camera settings and camera moves/placement are all factors in getting a film look. Just trying to achieve the look in post alone will yield poor results. And, as far as colors go, you'll need to need to read up on using the 3-way color correction filter and possibly look into 3rd party color correction tools.

With that being said, I would put attempting to achieve the film look on the low end of your priority scale. DV is DV and nothing you do will fool people into thinking it is film. 28 Days Later was shot on DV and went thru extensive, and expensive, measures to maintain the best quality they could and it still is obviously DV. And DV has helped the video=crap stigma. IMO opinoin there are more imporant things to spend your time and money on. If the story is good, and told well people won't care what you shot it on.

8. fmpstudio macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2004
    deinterlace to separate fields in Final Cut Express

I have just joined this group and I have a question.

Can anyone tell me how to use the deinterlace filter in Final Cut Express.
    I'm trying to separate a security camera film which shoots two different cameras onto two separate fields on one frame of video. When they are separated each camera view can be seen individually.

Thanks in advance!

Mike :eek: